Memcache increasing fetch time of an entity

Pramod Bhargav

Jul 23, 2015, 12:27:05 PM7/23/15
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I am testing performance of my get calls on a entity
below is the result(Miliseconds) without MemCache

Without MemCache
1 user

1st time :9797
2nd Time :3790
3rd Time :3091
4rd Time :3634
5th Time :2771
6th time :3890

Without MemCache
10 users:

1st time :3242
2nd Time :3874
3rd Time :2990
4rd Time :3790
5th Time :3027
6th time :3627

Now i added @cache on my entity and thought of decreasing fetch time but i got this
With MemCache
1 user

1st time :10470
2nd Time :5478
3rd Time :5661
4rd Time :5762
5th Time :5182
6th time :5627

10 users:

1st time :5732
2nd Time :5766
3rd Time :5886
4rd Time :5948
5th Time :4745
6th time :5359

Now i am not sure why time got increased with Memcache
can you please help in in pointing out my mistake while making entity cacheble?

Thanks

Patrice (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 23, 2015, 6:32:57 PM7/23/15
to Google App Engine, pra...@thesilverlabs.com, pra...@thesilverlabs.com
Hi Pramod,

This is pretty hard in explaining what is correct or incorrect here, as we only see the results of your tests, not the tests themselves.

I will assume you are using objectify (by the "@cache" you mention). In any case, I would look up this doc on objectify, as it points to some caveats about the Global Cache.

In any case, if your question is "how do I use @cache to increase read speed of my application" then it is perhaps better suited to Stack Overflow. I would suggest you post on that forum, making sure you include your code, the code without caching, the code with caching, and the results of your tests. We do monitor Stack Overflow, so if the community doesn't answer you, there is a chance one of the Google Cloud Platform Support team does.

Cheers!