Too many GoogleHC/1.0 /_ah/vm_health entries in the log

George West

Mar 18, 2017, 12:03:37 PM3/18/17
to Google App Engine
Hi

- I created a DotNet Core App
- Deployed it on the Google App Engine (Custom / Flex)
- I opened the logging tab

I noticed the following entry: _ah/vm_health
It is not there once or twice, it is there very large number of times

Questions:
1- How can I exclude this one from the logs, I know the system is checking if everything is healthy, and this is good, I just don’t want it logged.
2- How can I exclude anything from the logs? For example, there is an entry, and it is sending things to the logs, and wanted ignored by the log system.

Andre Rodrigues

Mar 20, 2017, 1:02:24 PM3/20/17
to Google App Engine
Hi George,

Unfortunately our default settings / logging for health checks are less than ideal at the moment. So much so that we are currently working on a set of improvements for them which we hope to rollout in the near future.

For now, the work around for that issue is to implement a custom health handler in your app (i.e. /_ah/health per https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/how-instances-are-managed) which simply returns 200 / ok. That should make all that logging / request go away.

Thanks,
Andre

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Mar 23, 2017, 11:42:22 AM3/23/17
to Google App Engine
Though we are working on this internally, I'd highly recommend filing a public feature request on Issue Tracker so we can relate it to our internal work and the community can receive updates when they're available.  Once you've filed this feature request, please post a link to it here as well so that others reading this may follow through and show their support for such a feature by starring it.

I look forward to that link.

Marco Galassi

Sep 1, 2017, 10:05:41 AM9/1/17
to Google App Engine
Any update on this?

I also get tons of /_ah/vm_health entries. I have disabled other health checks to /_ah/health (notice it is NOT vm_health) as suggested in the docs,
but I still get those.