All Managed VMs beta instances were turned down in the past hours.

Justin Yip

Oct 31, 2017, 6:37:09 PM10/31/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

My company has multiple instances running on AppEngine. Since 2:38pm PST, we notices that all Managed VMs beta instances (vm: true) across multiple projects were turned down by "apphosting-mana...@system.gserviceaccount.com". See screenshot.

On the other hand, instances with env: flex are not affected.

We are able to restart these instances, but we wonder what is happening. We are aware that (vm: true) will be deprecated later this year. But we are not aware that instances will be turned off today (Oct 31).

I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Thanks!

Justin

Jianliang Zhao

Oct 31, 2017, 7:38:30 PM10/31/17
to Google App Engine
According to this page: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/java/upgrading, the shutdown of managed VMs will be 12/15/2017. Why is it started all of a sudden?

Beta decommission date: December 15th, 2017

On December 15th, 2017, the Managed VMs environment (vm:true) will be shut down and all apps using the beta vm:true configuration will stop receiving traffic.

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 3:37:09 PM UTC-7, Justin Yip wrote:
Hi,

My company has multiple instances running on AppEngine. Since 2:38pm PST, we notices that all Managed VMs beta instances (vm: true) across multiple projects were turned down by "apphosting-managed-vm-turndown@system.gserviceaccount.com". See screenshot.

Jianliang Zhao

Oct 31, 2017, 7:42:50 PM10/31/17
to Google App Engine

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 1, 2017, 10:20:25 AM11/1/17
to Google App Engine

Hello, this was a planned maintenance window about which affected project owners were informed of in the form of a MSA email.

As you have pointed out the Managed VMs beta environment (App Engine applications deployed with vm: true in their app.yaml) is deprecated and will be turned down on December 15, 2017. The App Engine flexible environment is replacing Managed VMs, which we are no longer updating.

During this turndown process, we will keep maintenance windows open, starting in October and running through the end of the year. This was one such maintenance window.

Notifications leading up to each maintenance window will be in the Cloud Platform Console. For our beta customers, during this period, your projects will continue to be eligible for beta pricing in the env: flex environment (announced in November 2016). After Managed VMs beta is turned down, regular pricing will apply.

Please visit the upgrade guide, and learn more about how to move from the vm: true environment to the env: flex environment.

As detailed in the upgrade guide, the flexible environment does not support deprecated runtimes such as python-compat and java-compat. If you cannot yet upgrade to a supported runtime on the flexible environment, you can request to continue using a deprecated "compat" runtime on env:flex temporarily. The compat runtimes will be available on this basis until flexible environment solutions for memcache and task queues are in public beta. After receiving a confirmation email, you must follow the steps in the upgrade guide to run your application on the flexible environment before we decommission Managed VMs on December 15, 2017.

The App Engine flexible environment is generally available and offers features such as multi-zonal deployments, modern network stack, multiple region availability, and more. For more details, see the documentation and new features to consider when upgrading.

If you have any questions or concerns specific to one of your projects, please use this form to contact Google Cloud Support.

Andrei Baragan

Nov 1, 2017, 12:25:08 PM11/1/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Yannick,

Thanks for your response. We were not notified about this in the Cloud Console.

We are planning to migrate soon but until then can you share the maintenance notification schedule so that we know when the next shutdown is?

Thanks

Justin Yip

Nov 1, 2017, 1:22:52 PM11/1/17
to Google App Engine
Yannick,

We didn't get any notification either.

Can you point out where in the google cloud console that I can find the information about the next maintenance window?

Thanks!

Justin

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 10, 2017, 9:06:19 AM11/10/17
to Google App Engine
Hello, apologies for the delay in answering. I am told the date should be visible in a banner on the Cloud Console.

Miguel Vitorino

Nov 13, 2017, 7:04:28 AM11/13/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

We also didn't see that warning anywhere.