User Rate Limit Exceeded

Fernando Lopez

Nov 13, 2015, 10:11:27 AM11/13/15
to Google App Engine
Hello,

We are having problems since 11 of November with our application hosted in Google Apps engine. (We have not updated our application in the last month)

We are calling to different Google API's, mostly Drive API, and in the last two days we are receiving 403 errors for almost all requests:

We have billing enabled in the project and there is a lot of quota available.

We have tested with different users, with different internet connections, from different locations... and we are having the same problem in different projects!!! We have the same issue in DEVELOPMENT and SIMULATION environments. Those environments are hosted in different GAE applications.

This is the error message we are receiving:

  1. error{,…}
    1. code403
    2. errors[{domain: "usageLimits", reason: "userRateLimitExceeded", message: "User Rate Limit Exceeded"}]
      1. 0{domain: "usageLimits", reason: "userRateLimitExceeded", message: "User Rate Limit Exceeded"}
        1. domain"usageLimits"
        2. message"User Rate Limit Exceeded"
        3. reason"userRateLimitExceeded"
    3. message"User Rate Limit Exceeded"

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

Regards,

Fernando.

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 13, 2015, 2:44:43 PM11/13/15
to Google App Engine
Hey Fernando,

While the screenshot from your console certainly shows that you're not breaking the daily quota, there are more short-term rate-limiting quotas which are meant to keep the system usable. When seeing a "rate limit exceeded" response, try to make your traffic pattern less burst-oriented, and use more batching / deferral. This page in our documentation deals with how to respond to rate-limiting API error responses using the "exponential backoff" pattern.

Fernando Lopez

Nov 15, 2015, 2:45:39 AM11/15/15
to Google App Engine
Hello Nick,

Thanks for the info. Can you confirm if Google has changed anything regarding those quotas last week? We have the feeling the quota limit is much more reduced than in the past.

Regards,
Fernando.

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 17, 2015, 4:21:34 PM11/17/15
to Google App Engine
Hey Fernando,

In order to know better, could you post the full output of the error? What operation was actually being limited?