Anyone experiencing the new console log view being a bit busted?

Emlyn

Jun 13, 2017, 12:46:31 AM6/13/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Some tweaks to the logs appeared in my console over the weekend. Previously, when a task logged a lot of data, it was broken into multiple entries, and it was hard to tie the pieces together. The new view makes this clearer, which is great.

eg:
Inline images 1

However, if I open any of these entries I see the start of the log (what I should see only when I click on "First of operation"), and if I click "Show All", the console locks up, and later (maybe minutes later in some cases?) it displays the entire list of log data for all of these pieces combined. That is, the log in broken into pieces because it is too large, but then each piece just shows the entire log anyway.

And once Show All has been clicked, my browser is laggy and unresponsive. I basically have to close all the console tabs to get it to calm down. So something bad happening in javascript land.

Nickolas Daskalou

Jun 13, 2017, 2:26:42 AM6/13/17
to Google App Engine

I'm seeing and experiencing the exact same thing.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 13, 2017, 10:31:32 AM6/13/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Emlyn,

This issue seems to manifest itself in particular circumstances, as I can not reproduce it based on the received information. More detail is needed, preferably a step-by-step description of the procedure. What types of logs are these, for which operations?

All other information you deem relevant will be highly appreciated.

Emlyn

Jun 14, 2017, 1:20:00 AM6/14/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
They're logs from a Python (standard) AppEngine application.

But today the view has reverted back to how it used to be, everything's working again. Maybe I was B in an A/B test?

Emlyn

https://medium.com/the-infinite-machine - A publication about Google App Engine
sutllang.com - My language sUTL
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100281903174934656260 - Google+

Erik Pintar

Jun 14, 2017, 4:29:12 PM6/14/17
to Google App Engine
Hello - I'm an engineer from the Logging UI team.

Thanks for this feedback!  This was part of an experiment, yes, and we have rolled it back for now.

The aim was to help clarify and "group" these long-running requests split across multiple log entries.  From this and other feedback, we are pursuing a mode where the "first of _", "part of _" annotations will still be there, but are rethinking grouping the entire "long running request" data underneath each of those entries.

For more input - would you prefer the data shown the way it was (with different data split across the different entries), or (if possible, assuming the browser wouldn't hang) the data grouped all together beneath each of the entries (like was attempted here)?

On 14 June 2017 at 00:01, 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello Emlyn,

This issue seems to manifest itself in particular circumstances, as I can not reproduce it based on the received information. More detail is needed, preferably a step-by-step description of the procedure. What types of logs are these, for which operations?

All other information you deem relevant will be highly appreciated.

Nickolas Daskalou

Jun 15, 2017, 12:39:59 AM6/15/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Erik,

On my side, for the projects we work on, we would prefer one single entry for each request (no matter how many logging items it contains).

By the way, I've noticed each log item now has a link to the line in the source code which generated the log item (for Python at least). This is a great idea and very helpful. Nice work.

Thanks,
Nick

Emlyn

Jun 15, 2017, 1:29:39 AM6/15/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I've noticed each log item now has a link to the line in the source code which generated the log item (for Python at least). This is a great idea and very helpful. Nice work.

I want to second this. These source code links seem to have come and gone a bit; they're great.

Hello - I'm an engineer from the Logging UI team.

Thanks for this feedback!  This was part of an experiment, yes, and we have rolled it back for now.

The aim was to help clarify and "group" these long-running requests split across multiple log entries.  From this and other feedback, we are pursuing a mode where the "first of _", "part of _" annotations will still be there, but are rethinking grouping the entire "long running request" data underneath each of those entries.

For more input - would you prefer the data shown the way it was (with different data split across the different entries), or (if possible, assuming the browser wouldn't hang) the data grouped all together beneath each of the entries (like was attempted here)?

I don't mind if the data is split across entries. Alternatively, if you're going to show the whole list under one (or each) item, I would need an easy way to get to the end. Very often these hugely long lists have an error right at the end, which is why I'm examining them in the first place. So just showing the first few lines then having a "show more" button isn't useful.

Erik Pintar

Aug 9, 2017, 1:40:34 PM8/9/17
to Google App Engine
Thank you both for your feedback about this issue! It helped influence our re-work of this feature, which has been just re-deployed.

You should now see "first of _", "part of _" annotations in correlated log entries, but the nested entries are still split across the various entries.