Request logs and flex

Vinay Chitlangia

Apr 15, 2017, 12:15:41 AM4/15/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,
Once we moved to non-compat flex, the logs emitted as part of the request are coming out in stdout stream instead of with part of the request (all logs
with a particular request, used to come together in the request logs of compat runtime).

Attached is the screenshot of the logs. The various WARNING logs are those written as part of the request (which is the first line).
Notice that the logs are not bundled together with the request.

The dockerfile we are using is:

FROM gcr.io/google-appengine/jetty9

RUN apt-get -q update && \

    apt-get -y -q --no-install-recommends -t jessie-backports install openjdk-8-jdk && \

    apt-get clean && \

    rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*_*

ADD backend.war $JETTY_BASE/webapps/root.war

WORKDIR $JETTY_BASE

RUN java -jar $JETTY_HOME/start.jar --approve-all-licenses \

 --add-to-startd=jmx,stats,hawtio,requestlog \

 && chown -R jetty:jetty $JETTY_BASE

And finally the app.yaml looks like:

runtime: custom

env: flex

handlers:

- url: /.*

  script: this field is required, but ignored

  secure: always

resources:

  cpu: 2

  memory_gb: 10

automatic_scaling:

  min_num_instances: 1

  max_num_instances: 10

  cool_down_period_sec: 120

  cpu_utilization:

    target_utilization: 0.5

env_variables:

  USE_GAE_MEMCACHE: 1

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 9.30.43 AM.png

Justin Beckwith

Apr 15, 2017, 2:25:29 AM4/15/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, Amir Rouzrokh, Rajeev Dayal, Les Vogel
Greetings folks!
With the non-compat runtimes in the flexible environment, we rely on client logging libraries to make request correlation work.

Amir / Rajeev / Les should be able to help point you in the right direction from here :)

Justin Beckwith | Google Cloud Platform | @justinbeckwith | http://jbeckwith.com

Jisha Abubaker

Apr 18, 2017, 4:53:28 PM4/18/17
to Google App Engine, arou...@google.com, rda...@google.com, le...@google.com

Hi Vinay

To get started, I'd recommend looking at this section on Stackdriver logging using java.util.logging

It's on the page that Justin just shared.
We're also in the process of adding support with more logging frameworks like Slf4j.

Thanks
Jisha

Vinay Chitlangia

Apr 26, 2017, 5:48:35 AM4/26/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, arou...@google.com, rda...@google.com, le...@google.com
Thanks for the responses.

The link that you mention, says that logging can be setup using logging.properties. Wondering in what directory should logging.properties reside in the flex setup.