Unable to execute any task via push queue

A. Kong

Jul 21, 2016, 3:13:24 AM7/21/16
to Google App Engine
In order to preform some data migration, I have used a push queue to execute tasks to modify data in a lot of entities.

The tasks in queue were running fine, but suddenly the queue becomes empty. Next to the queue name, there is an icon which shows the followig text in the tooltip:

"To conserve system resources during peak usage, App Engine is enforcing a processing rate lower than the maximum rate for this queue"

What is going on here? I need to get the data conversion before i can deploy a new version to GAE (in python).

My questions:

1) What does not message mean?

2) How can i get the queue to run again?

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 28, 2016, 7:52:02 PM7/28/16
to Google App Engine
Hey A. Kong,

Thanks for your question. This is an expected behaviour which can be clarified by looking into the information in the tooltip. This is about the "enforced rate" you can find in Task Queue section on Console. You will see the following tool tip when you hover the mouse on the question mark icon:

"App Engine is enforcing a processing rate lower than the maximum rate for this queue either because your application is returning HTTP 503 codes or because currently there is no instance available to execute a request."

This basically means that the App Engine application is overloaded, and TaskQueue has to be slow down to overwhelm application. I recommend in this case that you review your performance settings to better scale the application based on the workload. Let me know if you'd like any assistance with that, I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support