exceptionally high latency, causing bad experiences and high hosting cost

Eric Ka Ka Ng

May 22, 2012, 11:25:44 PM5/22/12
to Google App Engine
from around last 12 hours, we see an exceptionally high latency on some of our gae apps. before requests on average takes 200ms-1000ms. now it can takes 2000ms - 5000ms. I try to measure the time as local client. like make 10 requests, 1-2 times the latency is normal <1s, half of the time is like 2s-5s, sometimes it even takes 10-20s!!

as a result, it also doubles the number of instances started by GAE, and so as the frontend cost.

does anyone observe similar problem recently, or it's only me? is it google's infrastructure prb, or anything i can do? if it's google's infrastructure prb, i dont think it makes sense to transform such bad user experiences (high latency) into doubling our hosting cost....

- eric

Daniel

May 23, 2012, 12:27:05 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
For the last 2-3 days I'm seeing the same thing.  I've gotten several mails from unhappy users that my game server is too slow.. I don't normally have complaints like this.   I'm also seeing Deadline Exceeded errors which I don't normally see.   In addition my server costs are over double as well, probably for the same reason.

You're not alone.. do you have any leads from Google on this?

Daniel

Daniel

May 23, 2012, 12:41:12 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
BTW, here's my milliseconds per request chart.  The problems started about 3 days ago and the data is dramatic.. here's a 7 day graph

Rishi Arora

May 23, 2012, 12:57:23 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If you guys think this may be because of high memcache API latency, please star this issue:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=7554

Although it appears Google is being stubborn about it and has marked this issue "WontFix", blaming it all on Master/Slave datastore.  An issue that lasts this long can't be simply blamed on M/S.

Daniel

May 23, 2012, 1:09:20 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I've got deadline exceeded errors cased when setting memcache.   I've stared the issue and attached my graph.  I'm on an HDR app, not M/S

Rishi Arora

May 23, 2012, 1:27:48 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I used appstats to show that initially, it appeared to be memcache GET calls causing high latency.  However, I changed my memcache calls to timeout after 1 second.  This is now causing my app to resort to datastore reads, and now its the datastore reads that are causing high latency.  See appstat chart below.

I'm curious to see what appstats will show for your HRD-based app.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/-/aV5lK9vm15YJ.

Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 12.23.25 AM.png

Hamilton

May 23, 2012, 7:12:27 AM5/23/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I ran into a similar issue yesterday.  My issue was caused by the master/slave data store being deprecated.  I converted my application to the hrd data store

and all is well now.

Best Regards,
Hamilton