Urgent: Channel API issues?

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 6:27:25 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
I use app engine channels to ensure my clients receive real-time orders at their restaurant that they can fulfill.

Within the past hour or so, I'm now getting this message when the client side software tries to establish a channel:

com.google.apphosting.api.ApiProxy$OverQuotaException: The API call xmpp.CreateChannel() required more quota than is available.

I'm definitely not over the quota, and I even have an idle sandbox app engine id and can't seem to establish channels testing there.

Anyone else see this issue?  Can someone look into it?

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 7:29:33 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Hmm, after this occurrence where my channel clients kept trying to reconnect, now my channels hours usage skyrocketed past the limit.

Ananthakrishnan Venkatasubramanian

Jan 6, 2017, 8:33:20 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Yeah. Facing the same issue and the application got crashed/continuously reloaded for the users. Please address this a.s.a.p. Currently we have disabled the real time notifications and addressed the production app issue.
Message has been deleted

Ananthakrishnan Venkatasubramanian

Jan 6, 2017, 8:53:10 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Core problem for this issue is socket onopen handler is not getting invoked instead onerror is getting called again and again. We are creating a new channel token in onerror handler. So again and again, channel token will be created, onerror handler invoked and it never goes to onopen handler. The problem started on 07-JAN-2017 SATURDAY around 3:20 or 3:30 AM IST onwards and it is still continuing. So far for these many years/days it was working fine. Waiting for the fix so that we can turn on the real time notifications back in our system.

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 9:26:34 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Further details as my team have been debugging this for the past 3.5 hours.

This part on our server returns error free:
            ChannelService channelService = ChannelServiceFactory.getChannelService();
            token = channelService.createChannel(clientId, 1439);

When we try and use this token it fails and as Ananthakrishnan desribes, our GWT code is setup to retry by creating a new channel.  This killed our quota.

We also have a java client using this channel and we are able debug.  We are noticing that our parsing logic for the response from talkgadget.google.com doesn't seem to give us valid results.  Something is wrong on that end.

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 9:31:38 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
And of course after wasting all this time, it looks like it now works on our sandbox environment.

Of course my product environment is down because my quota has been exceeded.  7 hours til reset.  I hope Google compensates me for at least today's "overuse" and more since my team has lost their Friday evening..

Ananthakrishnan Venkatasubramanian

Jan 6, 2017, 9:34:32 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Yeah. Issue has been fixed it seems. Brought back the old production version of our app to default which had real time notifications enabled. Working fine as expected. Thank you very much :)

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 9:40:30 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Glad it's working for you.  You're welcome.

Ster Nem

Jan 6, 2017, 11:17:05 PM1/6/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks to whoever reset the channel hours used.  It's allowed all my clients to be back online with notifications.

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Jan 7, 2017, 2:15:38 AM1/7/17
to Google App Engine
Just FYI from one channel user to the other: Channel is deprecated won't be available as of December this year so you should start looking for alternatives really soon.

Attila

Ananthakrishnan Venkatasubramanian

Jan 7, 2017, 4:02:36 AM1/7/17
to Google App Engine
Yeah. Channel API will be permanently disabled on 31st OCT 2017.