How do I wind-down my Google Apps that are setup solely for Custom Domains?

Jason Collins

Apr 15, 2014, 5:38:54 PM4/15/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
With the new Custom Domain hookup tool in the Cloud Console (thank you, thank you!), I would like to wind-down all the various Google Apps that we have set up over the years (and are paying for).

However, I still want the App Engine mappings to continue.

Is there a "right way" to do this? Do I request for the Apps accounts to be cancelled? Do I remove my credit card from the Apps account and just let them go stale/inactive?

I definitely cannot have interruption of service, so the mappings need to remain regardless of approach.

Thanks for any info,

Joshua Smith

Apr 16, 2014, 9:41:53 AM4/16/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
+1 Google’s domain management, particularly if you bought the domain through google is incredibly complicated and arcane. We really need a step-by-step guide for decommissioning a google apps account and moving to direct GAE domains for the two cases:

1. Third-party DNS like godaddy
2. DNS provided by google, accessed through the Google Apps dashboard

pdknsk

Apr 16, 2014, 2:29:39 PM4/16/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have just done this. Cancelling your Google Apps account is a deceptive process though, as it requires two steps to be successful.

First, cancel your Google Apps subscription (even if the account is free) on some settings page (billing). This logs you out of Google Apps, and makes it seems like this is equivalent to cancelling your account.
Second, log back into your Google Apps account. This prompts you to accept TOS for some reason. Now you can properly delete your account at the very bottom of some settings page (where you enter secondary email address and make other general settings).

I cannot comment on interruption of service, as this was on a new app I hadn't used yet.