Unable to link domain to app engine

Jun Wang

Aug 25, 2015, 1:06:38 PM8/25/15
to Google App Engine

The domain (ioeh.org) is registered with Google Domains, and all the A, AAAA, CNAME records were pointed to google server. I can ping it with no problem.

On the google cloud platform console side, I setup the specific app with custom domain ioeh.org, with no problem. However, the domain will never direct to the app?

Any insights?

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 25, 2015, 7:30:31 PM8/25/15
to Google App Engine
I see a redirect to https://ioeh.org. Have you gone through the Apps SSL steps, such as uploading your cert?

Jun Wang

Aug 26, 2015, 10:13:02 AM8/26/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Nick,

Thanks for answering my question. I do not want SSL with my app, and do not want to go through the SSL hassle process either.

How do I setup my Google Domains and Google Cloud Platform to remove SSL?

JW

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 31, 2015, 7:06:09 PM8/31/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Jun,

You'll need to investigate your app to figure out where the https redirect is coming from. This is a response sent by the server with a status code in the 3xx family which points the client to re-send their request using the https protocol rather than naked http. This might be happening due to the config in your app.yaml or appengine-web.xml configuration files. It also might be caused by a given framework you used to create your web app/site. Let me know if this sounds like a start for you to begin investigating. There's nothing in your DNS settings which should mandate HTTPS.

Bets wishes,

Nick