PHP GAE exit beta?

Luigi Cardamone

Feb 27, 2015, 10:13:42 AM2/27/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Are there any news about when PHP GAE will exit from beta?

The "beta" status is only related to bugs or also to performance issues and limitations?
Is someone using it in production?
Are there any examples of big websites using PHP GAE?

Stuart Langley

Mar 10, 2015, 1:54:38 AM3/10/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay in responding.

We are working very hard to exit BETA and move the PHP runtime to being Generally Available (GA) as soon as possible. We've recently released the PHP 5.5 runtime and a number of our most requested features (for example cURL, direct uploads and temporary files) and now we're working on ensuring that the runtime is stable and performant, as well as actively fixing any bugs that are preventing people from adopting the PHP 5.5 runtime. It is our plan to move forward to GA with the PHP 5.5 runtime and turn down the PHP 5.4 runtime.

BETA status refers to the fact that the runtime is not covered by and SLA and we may need to make backward incompatible changes before we leave the BETA release. That being said, it is unlikely we need to make a backwards incompatible change at this stage.

Luigi Cardamone

Mar 10, 2015, 10:33:46 AM3/10/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Dear Stuart,
thank you for your answer.

You are saying that the main problems are bugs and the absence of a SLA.
What about performances and scalability? They are the same of Java and Python
or are there any limits for PHP at this stage?

Stuart Langley

Mar 10, 2015, 9:03:44 PM3/10/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There's no performance or scalability limits compared to Python & Java that we are aware of.  If you have any concerns do please let us know.