Looking for advice on how to devope an app

Npc_Swords

Oct 15, 2017, 11:20:37 AM10/15/17
to Google App Engine
What is the proper setup for this scenario:

User in a pc game http post data like name/level to my cloud
I save the data and display it in a graph on a site.

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 16, 2017, 11:24:33 AM10/16/17
to Google App Engine
1. First step is to go through the many available cloud storage options and pick the solution that best fits your needs.

If the data being collected never needs to be updated (e.g logs) than saving the information to BigQuery datasets/tables is ideal (it now actually allows for updating data). BigQuery is optimize for performing fast queries on massive amounts of data for reporting purposes. You can then use Google Data Studio with your BigQuery datasets/tables to create your graphs.

2. Second step is to choose your backend which will be the proxy between your clients and your cloud database.

You can of course have your PC game directly interact with your cloud database (e.g BigQuery) via the Client Libraries (or via the HTTP REST APIs which you can play with in the API Explorer), but giving your clients access to directly manipulate your data is not secure. It is therefore recommended to restrict this access to your own 'backend' (e.g App Engine). Your PC game would then make HTTP requests to your own custom backend APIs, and your backend will act like a proxy to save and return data to/from your cloud database via the Client Libraries or HTTP REST calls.

3. Once you have a backend deployed running the code to read/write to your cloud database, the third step is to expose your backend's abilities to your clients via your own API using Cloud Endpoints.

- For additional readings I recommend taking a look at our complete guide for building a Gaming Analytics Platform on the cloud, along with our many other gaming specific developer solutions