How does SNI SSL certificates work on App Engine

Salar Rahmanian

Apr 17, 2014, 2:44:52 PM4/17/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I don't how SNI SSL Certificates work?

Can I just buy any SSL Certificate I want on the market and install them or set them up as SNI ? Or only certain Certificates are SNI?

Of course the reason I am looking at this is to have SSL on a custom domain for free.

I have looked at this:

But confused in particular about the type of certificate I have to buy to use with app engine.

Your help and guidance appreciated.

Thank you.

Vinny P

Apr 23, 2014, 3:13:37 AM4/23/14
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Salar Rahmanian <sa...@softinio.com> wrote:
Can I just buy any SSL Certificate I want on the market and install them or set them up as SNI ? Or only certain Certificates are SNI?
Of course the reason I am looking at this is to have SSL on a custom domain for free.
But confused in particular about the type of certificate I have to buy to use with app engine.
Your help and guidance appreciated.

You just need to buy any SSL certificate, which is available through many companies. Try looking to see if your domain registrar offers SSL certs.

The difference between SNI and VIP is a bit technical, but the short version is that some older OSes and browsers don't support SNI SSL (for instance, Android 2.x series machines). VIP is slightly more expensive to provide, but has more widespread support. Pick the SSL type that fits in with your target audience.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

GAEfan

Apr 23, 2014, 9:51:38 AM4/23/14
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Looking through our Analytics, we see that roughly 5% of our visitors (with older Android, or Win XP/IE) will not be able to use the SNI security, and have a bad experience on our sites. That is just too many for us to lose. At $39/mo, VIP is just too expensive for smaller, or unmonetized apps.