What is the s~ prefix?

Joshua Fox

Apr 10, 2017, 9:01:11 AM4/10/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On occasion App Engine APIs prefix "s~" to app names. This happens in Datastore   keys, but also  or example this error message on deployment:

In what contexts   do I need to treat my app id as "s~xyz" and in what contexts is it "xyz"?

pdknsk

Apr 10, 2017, 1:48:05 PM4/10/17
to Google App Engine
This prefix was added to differentiate between HRD apps and legacy apps. In practice you should never worry about the prefix and always use the prefix-less name.

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 10, 2017, 2:02:16 PM4/10/17
to Google App Engine
To add onto pdknsk's answer,  App Engine project names that have the "s~" prefix mean that you selected to have your application hosted in America during project creation time.

Alternatively you could also see the "e~" prefix if you selected Europe as your App Engine project region. It is best practice to use the App Engine project name without the prefix.

Joshua Fox

Apr 16, 2017, 1:52:58 AM4/16/17
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:02 PM, 'Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
To add onto pdknsk's answer,  App Engine project names that have the "s~" prefix mean that you selected to have your application hosted in America during project creation time.

Alternatively you could also see the "e~" prefix if you selected Europe as your App Engine project region. It is best practice to use the App Engine project name without the prefix.

I generally do. But if a Google API returns a value with prefix, and I need to compare project names, then  I need to use the prefix.  Google APIs seem inconsistent about returning values with/without the prefix.

JOSHUA FOX
Principal Software Architect | Freightos

 (Israel): +972-545691165 |  (US):  +1-3123400953 | Skypejoshuafox.freightos
Smoother shipping with the world's online freight marketplace.

Jeff Schnitzer

Apr 16, 2017, 12:56:51 PM4/16/17
to Google App Engine
It’s unfortunate but:  Always strip off ~ and anything before it when an appid comes from an API. Then you don’t need to think about it.

Jeff