Gmail Pop-up window: An application is requesting permission to access your Google Account

Brecht Ameije

Apr 25, 2017, 11:01:19 AM4/25/17
to Google App Engine

Every time I open my gmail in Chrome, a pop-up window is opened.

The question asked is "An application is requesting permission to access your Google Account. Allow?"

I have no idea which application is meant. Any ideas?
It seems totally fake, but the url looks thrustworthy.
I'd rather not click Allow without knowing which application is requesting this permission. But now I always have to click away the pop-up window.
Does anyone know a solution?

Screenshot:

Body text:

Google Accounts

An application is requesting permission to access your Google Account.

Please select an account that you would like to use.

xxxxx...@gmail.com

Google is not affiliated with the contents of the application or its owners. If you sign in, Google will share your email address with the application but not your password or any other personal information.

Allow No thanks       Sign in to another account

 Remember this approval for the next 30 days

Thanks,
Brecht

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 25, 2017, 11:53:29 AM4/25/17
to Google App Engine
To clarify, the 'https://appengine.google.com/_ah/loginform' URL seen in the source is just the actual Google log in consent popup you took a picture of, and not the actual application that is attempting to access your email.

The actual application is attempting to access your Google email, and Google noticed this and presented you with this log in form to ask for your consent, but it has nothing to do with the actual requesting application. This authorization flow is called OAuth.

You can find out more about the original application that is making the request by recording a HAR file while you attempt to access your gmail in Chrome. The application/URL that is making this OAuth request should be listed in the HAR file right before the redirect to the Google log in  'https://appengine.google.com/_ah/loginform' popup.

Pat Montgomery

Oct 19, 2018, 6:34:10 PM10/19/18
to Google App Engine
Google sends me a message saying "An application is requesting permission to access your Google Account."

It doesn't tell me who is making this request.

I don't know what a HAR file is.   I googled it, but I'm not a technician and don't understand it.

What are my options?

Thanks ... pat m.

Aref Amiri (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 23, 2018, 5:33:16 PM10/23/18
to Google App Engine

Hello Pat,

These requests usually come from a website that you are visiting, an extension that you have recently installed on your browser, a third party script from adware or other software running on your computer. In any case, if you are not sure of the application that is trying to access your Google account, it is recommended to decline and deny access.

However, you can keep track of applications that you have given permission to access your account and remove them as you wish. This way you can make sure that an unwanted application can no longer have access to your account. You can check that on Sign-in & Security page by selecting the “App with account access” on the left column. Once the list is displayed, you can then remove the applications that are not familiar to you or you don't want to grant them access to your Google account.

For future reference, it is best to post similar questions on Google Product Forum, as this group is mainly created to answer Google App Engine related questions.