What happens to requests in Instance Request Pending Queue when a backend instance gets terminated due to “Exceeded soft private memory limit”?

Ankur C

Jun 28, 2017, 8:58:07 AM6/28/17
to Google App Engine

I have B* instances running on App Engine(Python env) to serve user facing requests. Sometimes I see B* instances getting terminated due to Exceeded soft private memory limit

I understand that increasing the instance class will solve the issue but I have few queries regarding requests that are present in the Instance Pending Queue !

Assume we have 2 instances of B* instance class and we call it let say => I-1, I-2

  1. What will happen to those requests that are there in I-1 Instance Request Pending Queue after the I-1 instance gets terminated due to some reason? Will those requests gets evicted from the instance queue as this instance got terminated ?

  2. Will the requests in Instance Pending Queue are Dequeued from the Instance Pending Queue for I-1 and will be put in I-2 Request Queue by the Request scheduler as soon as Request Scheduler finds that I-1 is shutting down due to some reason.

Any help regarding understanding these things will be highly appreciated !

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 28, 2017, 2:54:41 PM6/28/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Ankur,

Normally, those requests should be rerouted to other available instances or be converted to loading requests (if applicable).

It's possible that if the startup time of a particular app is too long and the scaling parameters are tightly constrained, pending requests will timeout.  Generally, though, these requests should seamlessly route to available instances.