Google App Engine as a HTTP server for sending push notifications using Google Cloud Messaging to android

Edu App

Apr 8, 2015, 10:05:44 AM4/8/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am following google official tutorial for sending push notification to all my app users. I have successfully implemented it as a demo app. I am running below command to run Google App Engine Server

ant -Dsdk.dir=/home/myUserName/appengine-java-sdk-1.9.18 runserver -Dserver.host=My_Network_IP Buildfile: gcm-demo-appengine/build.xml

I think because I am using  -Dserver.host=My_Network_IP only my device or devices under this network IP address can register to client app.

I want all my app user to be able to register. I dont know how to make it happen. Can anyone tell me how can I achieve this.

I have posted detail question on stackoverflow. I got one answer that I  need to deploy my server code to some web server. Do I need to host some web server for this?

other person answered me like " you can deploy it on the cloud in minutes with no charge" Will it help me? If so then how to do it?

If anyone of you have implemented gcm push notifcation using Google App Engine as a server then please help me.

Vinny P

Apr 8, 2015, 5:00:44 PM4/8/15
On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Edu App <alled...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think because I am using  -Dserver.host=My_Network_IP only my device or devices under this network IP address can register to client app.
I have posted detail question on stackoverflow. I got one answer that I  need to deploy my server code to some web server. Do I need to host some web server for this? other person answered me like " you can deploy it on the cloud in minutes with no charge" Will it help me? If so then how to do it?

You're absolutely correct: the server.host argument is there so devices on the local network can access your application while it's in the dev server.

Currently your application is running on your local computer within a development server. If you want the whole Internet to be able to access and use your web application, you need to upload your application to a server. You can do that by following the steps here: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/tools/uploadinganapp#Uploading_the_App . Make sure you have an App Engine account and application ID set up before you upload.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Consultant
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com