App Engine Standard: "heroku run" equivalent

Ramesh Menon

Jun 20, 2018, 6:37:35 PM6/20/18
to Google App Engine
I have a Django application running on App Engine Standard env, connected to a CloudSQL DB. I'd like to update the schema (when it changes) from the deployed App Engine instance by executing:
python manage.py migrate
from the App Engine instance.

In other words, I'm looking for the App Engine Standard equivalent of the Heroku command:
heroku run python manage.py migrate

What's the recommended way to accomplish this task on App Engine Standard environment? Currently, I work around the issue by connecting to the DB using cloud_sql_proxy and running the migration from a local machine.

Thank you!

Ani Hatzis

Jun 22, 2018, 8:25:41 AM6/22/18
to Google App Engine
In context of running the migration from your local machine, do you also make use of App Engine's versioning system? See this Stackoverflow answer.