Datastore read costs for nil entities

Andy Haskell

Jul 26, 2016, 2:22:03 PM7/26/16
to Google App Engine
I am working on optimizing datastore calls, and saw that the cost of datastore read calls is 6 cents per 100,000 entities worth of reads. If I do a datastore.Get call for an entity that isn't in the datastore, does that count as a datastore read, or is it only considered a datastore read if the entity is actually in the datastore?

Vitaly Bogomolov

Jul 26, 2016, 3:27:38 PM7/26/16
to Google App Engine
I am working on optimizing datastore calls, and saw that the cost of datastore read calls is 6 cents per 100,000 entities worth of reads. If I do a datastore.Get call for an entity that isn't in the datastore, does that count as a datastore read, or is it only considered a datastore read if the entity is actually in the datastore?

each .get() counts as one read operation. plus query counts dbreads as number of entities, restored from datastore.