Django on AppEngine, django-rocket-engine

Sebastian Pawlus

May 1, 2012, 5:43:26 PM5/1/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm quite new in AppEngine development but was using Django for few
years now. I've found that setup described in docs is not like django
that I got used to. So I decided to write small helper library to
bring django AppEngine usage as close as possible to 'normal' (in
subjective way) django usage that I got used to. Project is more like
prof-of-concept than stable library that you should use on production.
But since I'm using this for my small projects maybe someone will find
this useful as well.

http://django-rocket-engine.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
with an example application:
https://github.com/xando/rocket-project
http://xando-1.appspot.com/

Project was highly inspired by work done in djangoappengine of All
Button Pressed, but since that project was dedicated to work with
django-nonrel, I decided to write my own and focus only on Google
CloudSQL.

Thanks
seba

John Gardner

May 4, 2012, 3:45:18 PM5/4/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If you haven't seen app-engine-patch (the ancestor of django-nonrel), you should take a look.

It's also mostly Django, but with the backend as entirely GAE.

Regards,
John

Will

May 4, 2012, 4:44:42 PM5/4/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
What does it differ from the django provided by GAE, such as django 1.2 with Python 2.7?

Thanks,

Will

Sebastian Pawlus

May 5, 2012, 7:05:57 AM5/5/12
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Will <vocals...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What does it differ from the django provided by GAE, such as django 1.2 with
> Python 2.7?

Rather than alternative to GAE SDK (with Django 1.3 now) this library
tries to support SDK with simple helper stuff that you need to write
anyway, one way or another.

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM, John Gardner <hux...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you haven't seen app-engine-patch (the ancestor of django-nonrel), you
>> should take a look.
>> https://github.com/huxoll/app-engine-patch
>>
>> It's also mostly Django, but with the backend as entirely GAE.

To be honest I've seen this library. I've spent some time recently
developing quite a big project with django + django-nonrel. My opinion
is that non-relational databases on the top of the relational ORM just
don't work. You can use them for fairly simple things but when comes
to slightly advance usage you will end up with problems and
limitations. It's even worse when your background is Django
development with SQL databases you will see them really quickly. I'm
not saying that GAE storage is bad. Django ORM + GAE storage is bad
idea.