Some of my applications appear to have stale caches in Australia

Emlyn

Nov 17, 2015, 3:52:59 AM11/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you go to this appengine app link:

http://nickdemo.tes-testing.appspot.com/#/login?returl=%2F

you'll see one of two things.

If you are in Australia, it'll say "Please Login" (old code)
If you are not in Australia, it'll say "Please Loggin" (new code)

Does anyone understand why this is happening? So far it's been like
this all day. Is there a problem in Google's infrastructure?

--
Emlyn

http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100281903174934656260 - Google+

Patrice (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 17, 2015, 11:12:09 AM11/17/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Emlyn,

How long ago did you change your code? I just want to make sure it isn't a question of propagation and it won't eventually go through.

I can confirm on my end I see the new code. Are you also certain that whoever uses your app in Australia isn't using a different version?

Cheers

Nick

Nov 17, 2015, 3:44:44 PM11/17/15
to Google App Engine
We've been seeing this too, we had assumed that there was an intentional infrastructure change.

When deploying new app versions, static resources served through Google front end are old assets for quite a while, where previously they update straight away.

This is pretty bad for one page apps (we use angular) - it sounds like this isn't an intentional change?

This impacts all of our applications as far as we can tell, anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes delay - we're in aus

Greg Jones

Nov 17, 2015, 3:58:46 PM11/17/15
to Google App Engine
Your page is setting cache-control with a max age of 24hrs, so if it's been less than that then things are working as they're supposed to - if you need new content to be reflected more quickly, you should change the cache-control. If you check the headers on the response and see a non-zero 'Age', then it means the response has come from an intermediate cache. Google has caches on it's "edge", but it's possible there are others depending on how you connect.

(https://redbot.org/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnickdemo.tes-testing.appspot.com is a useful tool for testing these kinds of things)

Greg

Emlyn

Nov 17, 2015, 6:22:35 PM11/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Greg, that's really useful. We've had that setting (24 hour
expiry) for a long time, but I've never seen it actually honoured like
this (and weirdly only for Australia). But I'll file this under "not a
bug but a feature" and go fix our cache settings.