Database with google application engine

Jitendra Kumar Singh

Jun 16, 2010, 8:00:07 AM6/16/10
to Google App Engine
Hi,
I am trying to develop and deploy a project with google application
engine and for this I want to use Mysql5.0 as a database. Is it
possible to use Mysql5.0 with GAE or google datastore is the only one
option. If we can use Mysql5.0, how will i configure it online during
the time of deployment. At localhost, I am trying to use Mysql5.0 with
eclipse galileo3.5 with google eclipse plugin and sdk plugin and gwt
plugin but it is giving the following error although I am using mysql-
connector-java-5.0.3-bin.jar file for jdbc driver:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.IsolatedAppClassLoader.loadClass(IsolatedAppClassLoader.java:
151)
at database.dbConn.query(dbConn.java:137)
at admin.AdminFunctions.verifyAdminLogin(AdminFunctions.java:16)
at admin.AdminServ.doGet(AdminServ.java:46)
at admin.AdminServ.doPost(AdminServ.java:112)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:713)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:806)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:
511)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler
$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
at
com.google.appengine.api.blobstore.dev.ServeBlobFilter.doFilter(ServeBlobFilter.java:
51)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler
$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
at
com.google.apphosting.utils.servlet.TransactionCleanupFilter.doFilter(TransactionCleanupFilter.java:
43)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler
$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.StaticFileFilter.doFilter(StaticFileFilter.java:
122)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler
$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:
388)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:
216)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:
182)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:
765)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:
418)
at
com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty.DevAppEngineWebAppContext.handle(DevAppEngineWebAppContext.java:
70)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:
152)
at com.google.appengine.tools.development.JettyContainerService
$ApiProxyHandler.handle(JettyContainerService.java:349)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:
152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
542)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection
$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:938)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
409)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool
$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)

Tristan

Jun 16, 2010, 4:02:10 PM6/16/10
to Google App Engine
Not possible. Datastore is the only option. If you want to use MySQL,
you would have to host it on Amazon (or other such service) and then
you'd have to set up all persistence operations to talk to the Amazon
service.

There is an SQL solution in the works for the Google App Engine for
Business (for Google Apps domains only), but it has not been released
yet.

Takashi Matsuo

Aug 8, 2012, 3:40:54 AM8/8/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Please go visit https://developers.google.com/cloud-sql/ and read
our documentation.
Python: https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/cloud-sql/developers-guide
Java: https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/cloud-sql/developers-guide

-- Takashi

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM, vikash chaurasia
<vikash.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is MYSQL solution available now?
>
> Can we use MySQL in GAE project and deploy it on GAE server?
>
> Thanks
> Vikash
> --

Takashi Matsuo | Developer Advocate | tma...@google.com

vikash chaurasia

Aug 13, 2012, 1:06:47 AM8/13/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Takashi,

Thanks for reply.

Is it free for development purpose?

If we are using MySQL in GAE project, using MySQL as DB, can we deploy the application on GAE?

How/where can we claim for free quota for Cloud SQL, if it is possible?

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Vikash

Takashi Matsuo

Aug 15, 2012, 9:01:54 AM8/15/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Vikash,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM, vikash chaurasia <vikash.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Takashi,

Thanks for reply.

Is it free for development purpose?

If you install mysql to your local development environment, it's free.

If we are using MySQL in GAE project, using MySQL as DB, can we deploy the application on GAE?

Yes.

How/where can we claim for free quota for Cloud SQL, if it is possible?

AFAIK, now it's not possible.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/-/WF61FpF2tTgJ.