GAE : fatal: empty ident name (for < ---- >) not allowed.

Tariq Dinar

Jan 9, 2017, 3:40:32 PM1/9/17
to Google App Engine
Hi there,
I am getting this error just trying to do an initial commit. According to the documentation, I ran the following on gcloud:

git config --global user.email "y...@example.com" git config --global user.name "Your Name"

with a correct email (my admin email) and a random user name.

git config -l

 I have verified that my credentials are set, this is very strange.

I am still getting this error:

 fatal: empty ident name (for < ---- >) not allowed.

thanks.

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 10, 2017, 4:29:23 PM1/10/17
to Google App Engine
Without your actual git config settings it is hard to investigate what the actual configuration issue is that is causing this error. As this is a Git command specific issue, and not a Google Cloud issue, you may be able to find help for this error on Git specific forums.

Note, if you are referring to one of the Cloud Source Repositories guides, you can instead use the recommended 'git config credential.helper gcloud.sh' instead of manually configuring git with your email.