Java Error code 104: A problem was encountered with the process that handled this request, causing it to exit

Matt Mastracci

Mar 12, 2012, 6:43:26 PM3/12/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Has anyone been seeing a large number of error code 104s today? We haven't made any significant code changes today, but these started showing up in logs, with no additional information.

I've tried upgrading our instance types to F2, just in case we're hitting some sort of memory limit, but it doesn't appear to have helped. I've noticed that there's a Java issue on the status screen: could this be related?

Attached is a graph showing the milliseconds/request graph, which seems to correlate with the issue we've been seeing.

    1. A problem was encountered with the process that handled this request, causing it to exit. This is likely to cause a new process to be used for the next request to your application. If you see this message frequently, you may be throwing exceptions during the initialization of your application. (Error code 104)
Screen Shot 2012-03-12 at 4.41.25 PM.png

Ikai Lan (Google)

Mar 14, 2012, 3:37:57 PM3/14/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

There was definitely an issue with Java HRD when you posted this. We've been addressing these issues. Are you still seeing issues?

--
Ikai Lan

tringapps...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2013, 6:01:06 AM6/25/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
A problem was encountered with the process that handled this request, causing it to exit. This is likely to cause a new process to be used for the next request to your application. If you see this message frequently, you may be throwing exceptions during the initialization of your application. (Error code 104)

I am seeing this issue for more times in todays logs.
Can you please help us.

thanks

Mauro Silva

Aug 22, 2016, 8:49:19 AM8/22/16
to Google App Engine
Hi all,

the same problem is happening in my app (JAVA+GAE+DataNucleus).

Does anybody know if the problem with "Java HRD" was fixed?

Thanks.
Mauro

Java HRD

Damith C Rajapakse

Aug 22, 2016, 9:45:14 PM8/22/16
to Google App Engine
We are seeing a lot of these as well since the last few days (JAVA+GAE+DataNucleus)
Was there a new GAE version rollout within the last week or so?
Anyway, hope it gets fixed soon.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Aug 23, 2016, 12:17:29 PM8/23/16
to Google App Engine
Thanks for posting your questions here though I would suggest file a new defect report on the App Engine public issue tracker if you believe this to be an issue with the platform.  Be sure to include the following to speed up the investigation:
  • URLs affected
  • Time frame (when it started, when it ended)
  • Any logs of this 104 responses
  • A code sample of the handler that produces this 104
  • Any other relevant information about your application
With the above, we should be able to investigate this fairly quickly.  Also, please post a link to the new defect report here so that others may follow through for updates.  Lastly, though the issue your reporting does seem related to the old posts in this thread, I would nevertheless recommend posting to a new thread in the future.