App Engine Flex: up-to-date hostnames of peer instances

Dirk Louwers

Jul 9, 2017, 3:06:09 AM7/9/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I am currently trying to form a cluster with multiple GAE Flex instances. Therefore I expose the clustering port in the app.yml configuration. On instance start, an instance needs to be able to find it's peer instances in order to join the cluster. What is the best way to do this?

I have tried using Google Cloud Metadata instance data, but this only tells me something about the instance itself. Is there a way to achieve this using Google Cloud Metadata or would you recommend using something like Consul or etcd et al.?

Kind regards,

Dirk Louwers

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 10, 2017, 11:40:37 AM7/10/17
to Google App Engine
Hello Dirk,

I don't believe there is a straightforward way to achieve what you're trying to do with App Engine as this is not the intended use case. Is there a specific reason you want to manually manage App Engine instances instead of using a Container Engine cluster?

Dirk Louwers

Jul 11, 2017, 8:45:54 AM7/11/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Yannick,

Yes I do. These specific instances need to be able to find one another in order to form a cluster. Was hoping this was possible now with App Engine Flex instead of going lower into the stack using Container Engine + Kubernetes API.

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 11, 2017, 9:18:01 AM7/11/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There is no built-in way to address specific App Engine flexible instances. What you can do is target specific App Engine standard instances but only if they are manually scaled.

Dirk Louwers

Jul 11, 2017, 2:00:47 PM7/11/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks, will look at Container Engine options.