Java 9 Support in App Engine?

Andreas Hartmann

Nov 8, 2017, 2:12:16 PM11/8/17
to Google App Engine
Is there Java 9 support in App Engine or is there a  timeline for it? All documentation I found implied Java 7 or 8.

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 8, 2017, 3:08:26 PM11/8/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
There is no support for Java 9 in App Engine standard at the moment, though you should be able to use it as a custom runtime on App Engine Flexible.

A feature request for Java 9 App Engine support which was accepted by engineering can be found here, but there is no public timeline for it.

Andreas Hartmann

Nov 9, 2017, 12:06:33 PM11/9/17
to Google App Engine
Thank you!

Matt Senter

Mar 20, 2018, 9:01:38 AM3/20/18
to Google App Engine
Dunno if you made progress with this or what the official word is, but I recently made a quick write up on how to use java 9 on GAE: https://matts.blog/2018/03/11/how-to-launch-with-spring-boot-2-and-java-9-on-google-app-engine-flex-environment/

Andreas Hartmann

Mar 20, 2018, 10:29:20 AM3/20/18
to Google App Engine
Thanks, also with Java 10 being released today and support for 9 ending, this should really be about 10 now.

Matt Senter

Mar 20, 2018, 8:36:01 PM3/20/18
to Google App Engine
Ain't that always the way? ;)