E-mails from GAE standard to hotmail.com accounts bouncing for the past hour

PK

Oct 19, 2017, 9:53:15 PM10/19/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, google-clo...@googlegroups.com
Has anybody else experienced something similar, the message is of the form below. Any suggestions where to start? It seems like an issue on the Microsoft side but it happens only for e-mails originating at GAE standard.

Your message wasn't delivered to XXXX...@hotmail.com because the address couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try again.

The response from the remote server was:
550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

or

550 5.7.66 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable [HE1EUR02FT020.eop-EUR02.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Oct 20, 2017, 12:53:59 AM10/20/17
to Google App Engine
How confident are you that the email address is correct (it actually exists)? Did you successfully communicate with this address in the past?

A quick way to check if the email is valid, is to try to sign up with it: https://signup.live.com/ and see if it says "joe...@hotmail.com is already a Microsoft account."

Cheers,
Attila

Jan Mostert

Oct 20, 2017, 4:20:09 AM10/20/17
to PK, Google Cloud Insiders, Google App Engine
I've seen at as well when sending out update emails from GAE or even SendGrid:

Often times there were special characters in the mail address, spaces before or after the email address, or some other almost unnoticeable typos.

It's also possible that hotmail has routing issues or something, but I don't know if there's a way to find out.

From MS themselves:

9 times out of 10, this is the same as "mailbox not found". That other 10% of the time it could mean that there's a problem with your recipients account. Check to make sure that you have the e-mail address correct, wait a while and try again. If it still
bounces, try contacting the recipient some other way.

This means that your message is intentionally blocked because the receiving system thinks that the mail server you're using is a source of spam. Contact the support team of recipient's e-mail provider and request to have your account or domain unblocked.

Not sure if has something to do with DNS resolution

Your message wasn't delivered to XXXXXXXX@hotmail.com because the address couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try again.

The response from the remote server was:
550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

or

550 5.7.66 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable [HE1EUR02FT020.eop-EUR02.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Jan Mostert

Oct 20, 2017, 4:24:18 AM10/20/17
to PK, Google Cloud Insiders, Google App Engine
Ignore those last two paragraphs, random snippets from my clipboard appeared just when I hit sent.

TLDR: email address is misspelled (or contains invisible errors like spaces) or there's something wrong with the account.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 20, 2017, 1:11:05 PM10/20/17
to Google App Engine
Hello PK,

How do you send these messages from GAE, exactly? The error text seems to indicate that you have used Google Apps/G Suite. You may find useful relevant detail on the "Sending and Receiving Mail with the Mail API" documentation page.

PK

Oct 20, 2017, 3:21:02 PM10/20/17
to Google App Engine
Answers to various people who tried to help:

1. Yes, these hotmail e-mail accounts exist and work with e-mail sent from other means. I have 10s of incidents, hotmail.com rejects e-mails from XXX...@MYAPPID.appspotmail.com Incidentally, outlook.com works fine.
2. Again this has been working for years. I have 1000s of users, about 6% have e-mails in hotmail.com and only those bounce, and again this only started a couple of days ago.
3. Yes George, I have read the relevant documentation thens of times, the way it is now, and the way it was 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8 years ago. Please read my initial e-mail carefully, this has been working for years.

I have opened a case with GCP support (Case #13973481) and waiting to hear back after the initial contact 10 hours ago. Yes, most likely it is an issue with Microsoft but it makes me and Google look bad with my customers because they can send an e-mail to these hotmail accounts from their Inbox but we cannot.
Message has been deleted

Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)

Oct 23, 2017, 2:25:04 PM10/23/17
to Google App Engine
@PK With the nature of your case, it was a great idea for you to open up a GCP support ticket. I recommend forwarding your questions / follow-ups on the said support case. Rest-assured, we will update this thread once a resolution has been reached to help community users experiencing same issue.

PK

Oct 23, 2017, 6:25:57 PM10/23/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
@Kenworth@GoogleCloudPlatform I have opened case 13973481 since 10/19. I have also sent e-mails to postm...@htomail.com and sup...@hotmail.com describing the situation.