Django project on GAE

Vaishnavi Manjunath

Dec 4, 2016, 12:03:53 PM12/4/16
to Google App Engine
Hey,
I am currently exploring all options to develop web application with python and came across django as the most popular web development framework. GAE support for django is with standard and flexible environment where flexible environment isn't recommended for production purpose but it supports py 3 and standard is not recommended for python 3 , but python 3 looks like future of python.
So can someone please suggest what I should go ahead with and why?
It would be great if you can throw some light upon Google cloud SQL support too .

Thanks :)

Alex Martelli

Dec 4, 2016, 12:27:47 PM12/4/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Vaishnavi Manjunath <vaishna...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,
I am currently exploring all options to develop web application with python and came across django as the most popular web development framework. GAE support for django is with standard and flexible environment where flexible environment isn't recommended for production purpose but it supports py 3 and standard is not recommended for python 3 , but python 3 looks like future of python.
So can someone please suggest what I should go ahead with and why?

As you observe, the flexible environment is currently in beta release: thus, fine to experiment, develop, and learn, but not yet recommended for production deployment (and no firm date announced for when it will exit beta and enter GA, meaning "general availability"). If you want to deploy production-quality apps very soon, the standard environment is what you need, even though it constrains you to Python 2.7.

Yes, Python 3.x is definitely the future, and if it's the future you care about, rather than the present, then I recommend it heartily (with the flexible environment); but if you want to deploy very soon, focus on the present -- Python 2.7 and the standard environment.

In the latest edition of my book, Python in a Nutshell, I and my co-authors cover both Python 2.7 and Python 3.5, because at this time they're both highly viable and heavily used releases -- even though at some point in the future 2.7 will not be advisable any more, it still is today.

This is independent from Django and applies whatever framework you want to use. Indeed, again in the book, we don't cover Django at all (it's a very rich, heavy-weight framework requiring its own book-length coverage) but focus on more modern, lightweight ones, such as Flask.

It would be great if you can throw some light upon Google cloud SQL support too .

Cloud SQL is GA and to the best of my knowledge fully usable from either Python 2 or Python 3 (and indeed other languages yet) as well as from either flexible or standard App Engine (and indeed non-App Engine environments too). Therefore, it need not constrain your platform choices at all.

Alex

Thanks :)