Moving application to European datacenter?

Peter D

Jul 10, 2013, 10:10:37 AM7/10/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
In the app engine documentation, I saw this point:

For developers that do not have a Premier account, you will need to enable billing for applications that should reside in the European Union.

That is my exact position; I do not have a premier account and I have enabled billing. How would I go about residing my applications in the EU?

Vinny P

Jul 10, 2013, 3:29:37 PM7/10/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

 You need to contact the Google App Engine staff to have your application moved to European datacenters. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/google-appengine/Oon8Ds3dlO4/gStzRiwCrhcJ

-----------------
-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com

Chris Ramsdale

Jul 12, 2013, 11:53:28 AM7/12/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

we're still building out our footprint in the EU clusters and are controlling the flow of new users to ensure a high quality of service.  we're looking to removing the manual whitelisting soon.  in the meantime, i can enable this support for you.  simply send a direct email to cram...@google.com with the email / account that you would like enabled.

thanks,

-- Chris

Product Manager, Google App Engine

stephanos

Jul 13, 2013, 8:35:02 AM7/13/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear: Will I be able to move my existing app from US to EU or will I have to create a new app(-id) just for the EU?

Cheers
Stephan

stephanos

Aug 6, 2013, 7:56:02 AM8/6/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Are there any news on that question?

aswath satrasala

Sep 9, 2013, 4:57:21 AM9/9/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Any updates on this

-Aswath

Gabriel Preda

Oct 11, 2015, 8:55:24 AM10/11/15
to Google App Engine
[Bump up!]

Is there now an option for moving the app to eu?

Regards!

dinoboff

Oct 11, 2015, 6:51:04 PM10/11/15
to Google App Engine
When you create a new project, the advance options allow to select the datacenter.

So you have the option to create a new project in a EU datacenter and then copy the data from the old project to a new one. It's easy for the datastore entities using Datastore Admin (go to Storage > cloud datastore > settings > Open Datastore Admin); there's on option copy your entities to another app.

It would be nice to be able to move the all project to a different datacenter however, and keep the original project id.

Patrice (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 12, 2015, 11:05:34 AM10/12/15
to Google App Engine
Hey guys,

Indeed, you can select at creation, and only at creation, so there is no way to move it nicely. You need to create a new application and move what needs to be moved yourself. You can make use of our automated tools for some of that migration (like the datastore admin), but there is no "one button solution" yet.

Cheers

Rob Curtis

Feb 2, 2017, 6:50:12 AM2/2/17
to Google App Engine
Hi Patrice,

Can you outline how this could be done?
We're in a situation now where we need our data to be hosted in the EU. I understand that there is datastore admin option to move the data, but how do keys change (app_id in the key) do we need to re-write all data? Can you please give further guidance on this?

Thanks
Rob

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 2, 2017, 12:25:07 PM2/2/17
to Google App Engine

The documentation page that instructs how to create a project and an app, “Managing Cloud Platform Projects, App Engine Applications, and Billing”, contains the statement: “Important: Each Cloud Platform project can contain only a single App Engine application and you cannot change the region after you create the App Engine application.”

The way to proceed, taking into account the above considerations:

- Create a new app in the EU region using the console, mark its newly created ID.

- Replace the old, different-region ID of your existing app in the app code, wherever applicable, with the new EU appID, then deploy it as if the old code belongs to a new app.

- Access the newly deployed app at EU_specific_app_id.appspot.com, that now works from its proper EU location.

Datastore is a multi regional resource. Still, it is  not truly global, as it remains in fact confined within a region group. One cannot change datastore location, after the initial choice, as stated in the “Google Cloud Datastore Locations” documentation page. A possible way to transfer data to the new EU project is by backing up and then restoring it where needed.

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Mar 27, 2017, 1:22:31 AM3/27/17
to Google App Engine
Just a cautionary note: some services (like App Engine Flexible) are not avaiable in the EU datacenters (I reasons which escape me - since the software clearly exists, it just needs to be deployed there), so make sure that you review your architecture before deciding to go with the EU datacenters.

Attila

matti....@qvik.fi

Oct 14, 2017, 10:59:59 AM10/14/17
to Google App Engine
It would be extremely good to have an option to move the Datastore to EU. Also, not to lose your App ID, to have a possibility to do "gcloud app delete" to remove the GAE app and then re-create using --region= param..

I really do not want to lose my app IDs once I have had everything set up for a while.

- matti