Running versions with Microservices

Flannan Brody

Jun 28, 2017, 12:20:13 AM6/28/17
to Google App Engine
Hi All,

We've a weird situation, where we've an existing appengine site up and running....last deployment was about a month ago. Since then we've developed some new functionality that we'd like to preview to a select group of users.

I've been able to get microservice set and hoping to be able run the old site as one service (default) and the new current code as new service. Both with different url's......so I'll be able to point the select group of users to a separate url?

This will be temporary....for like 2 months while testing.

question is........is this even possible?......whats the best way to set this up?

thanks

pa

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 28, 2017, 10:22:23 AM6/28/17
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello, unless I'm misunderstanding something you have described the proper solution yourself. You should be deploying your preview version as a separate service which makes it so that requests sent to https://SERVICE_ID-dot-MY_PROJECT_ID.appspot.com or to http://SERVICE_ID.MY_CUSTOM_DOMAIN are routed to your new service.

Is this what you wanted to accomplish? Or are there any complications that makes this solution unsuitable?

Yannick (Cloud Platform Support)

Jun 28, 2017, 10:33:52 AM6/28/17
to Google App Engine
You probably meant that your current project is already a set of micro-services.

In that case you could probably deploy each preview-version micro-service with an alternate name (meaning your code would have to be adapted to it) but this is not a very nice solution.

You could also deploy all of your preview micro-services to an entirely different Cloud Project and allow it to use the resources of your main project if need be.

pedro mg

Jun 29, 2017, 11:14:53 AM6/29/17
to Google App Engine
Hi,

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 5:20:13 AM UTC+1, Flannan Brody wrote:
I've been able to get microservice set and hoping to be able run the old site as one service (default) and the new current code as new service. Both with different url's......so I'll be able to point the select group of users to a separate url?

This will be temporary....for like 2 months while testing.

question is........is this even possible?......whats the best way to set this up?

have you checked the Split Traffic possibilities per Version on the cloud console ? IP and Cookie based

"You can split incoming traffic to different versions of your app. Traffic splitting is useful for slowly rolling out new versions or A/B testing different designs and features"

Best,
--
Pedro Mota

Flannan Brody

Jul 5, 2017, 1:07:25 PM7/5/17
to Google App Engine
Thanks Yannick and Pedro,

That was a big help....knowing that It wasn't too crazy what I was trying to do.

flannan