The price of Google Channel API

F.L Lee

Aug 26, 2015, 4:58:00 AM8/26/15
to Google App Engine
hi Guys,

I have a question about the price of google channel API.  from https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas, it claims, for paid user, the daily limits of "Channel Create" and "Channel Hour Requested" are both "based on your budget". Refer to the attached for more details.
I can't find exactly how to charge for the exceeded Channel Creates and Channel Hour Requests. Could you please give me more details or forward my question to proper people if you're not the one? Thanks in advance.

best regards
Forest
Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 4.45.53 PM.png

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 26, 2015, 4:21:06 PM8/26/15
to Google App Engine
Hi F. L. Lee,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. I can tell you that "budget" refers to the App Engine daily budget, found under "Compute > App Engine > Settings" in the Developers Console. Perhaps you can expand more on what exactly you'd like to know? I'm not sure what you mean, for example, by "how to charge for" in this context.

Best wishes,

Nick

F.L Lee

Aug 27, 2015, 1:29:26 AM8/27/15
to Google App Engine
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your prompt response.
Sorry for the confusion,actually I would like to know such cost  information, like "$ 0.026 per GB per month" for "Code and static data storage". I can't find such cost description for "channel api"
 Let me describe my questions in detail.
1) Suppose "Channels Created" of my application is 10,000 within today, then how much should I pay for it?
2) Support "Channel Hours Requested" of my application is 20,000 within today,   then how much should I pay for it?
3) Support we have 1 million clients, and each client need maintain a channel for 24 hours each day , then how much should I pay for single day?

Not sure if I have clear my question. looking forward to your reply.

best regards,
Forest

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 1, 2015, 7:15:45 PM9/1/15
to Google App Engine
Hi F. L. Lee,

I understand your question now. I've investigated the docs page in question and it appears that you're correct that there's no mention of the actual pricing. I believe this may be a case of the docs needing an update and we're working on getting it fixed already.

There are many resources out there on the web such as stackoverflow which point to previous price-points, but those of course can't be relied-on.

In the meantime, you can test your billing using the Developers Console and its Billing section, along with precisely performing a few small tests which create channels and send a given number of bytes over them, etc. Of course, you could also wait while the docs become updated.

I hope this helps asnwer your questions.

Sincerely,

Nick

F.L Lee

Sep 17, 2015, 11:10:23 PM9/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick, Alex,

Just let you know, we're still waiting for your updates on this question, in order to make final decision.
Inform me ASAP when you figure out the confirmative answer. Look forward to your early replay.
Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Forest

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 21, 2015, 3:18:32 PM9/21/15
to Google App Engine
Hey F.L Lee,

I should have some information for you shortly. I'll update you no matter what by the 23rd of September (two days from now).Thanks for your persistence and apologies for the delay.

Best wishes,

Nick
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-appengine+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Nick (Cloud Platform Support)

Sep 22, 2015, 7:02:31 PM9/22/15
to Google App Engine
Hey F. L. Lee,

After investigation, I can confirm that there is no additional or hidden price for the Channel Create operation. The docs will update soon to show this.

Best of luck,

Nick
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to google-appengine+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

F.L Lee

Dec 17, 2015, 9:31:42 AM12/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
hi Nick,
Thanks for your confirmation. This does help us to make business decision!
But I have not seen the updates on docs yet.

Anyway,may I ask a further question in this thread regarding the "Billing Enabled Default Limit-maximum rate" which is only "60 creations/minute".
This number is too low for us.

Also I have somebody has already raised the concern. refer to

My question is, is there any way to increase the limit? My app has millions of user, so the expected quota should be very huge.

Looking forward to your early reply.
best regards,
Forest

Alex Martelli

Dec 17, 2015, 10:04:32 AM12/17/15
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:31 AM, F.L Lee <forest...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi Nick,
Thanks for your confirmation. This does help us to make business decision!
But I have not seen the updates on docs yet.

It's at https://cloud.google.com/appengine/pricing , last row in table "Resource billing rates":

"""
Sending Email, Shared Memcache, Pagespeed, Cron, APIs (URLFetch, Task Queues, Image, Sockets, Files, Users, and Channel) No Additional Charge
"""

Alex

F.L Lee

Dec 17, 2015, 9:32:24 PM12/17/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your prompt reply.  yes, the docs is updated, but I ignored it , sorry for that.
And may I ask a further question in this thread regarding the "Billing Enabled Default Limit-maximum rate" which is only "60 creations/minute".
This number is too low for us.

Also I have somebody has already raised the concern. refer to

My question is, is there any way to increase the limit? My app has millions of user, so the expected quota should be very huge.

Looking forward to your early reply.
best regards,
Forest

Alex Martelli

Dec 17, 2015, 11:24:17 PM12/17/15
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM, F.L Lee <forest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your prompt reply.  yes, the docs is updated, but I ignored it , sorry for that.

You're welcome -- I sweated blood to make that doc change *happen*.

And may I ask a further question in this thread regarding the "Billing Enabled Default Limit-maximum rate" which is only "60 creations/minute".

...which is *NOT* about the PRICE, which is how you decided to title this thread back 4 months ago.

So, this thread is pretty useless to discuss issues that are NOT about the price.

I recommend you star the PIT issue you've pointed to, and comment there.  Moreover...:

This number is too low for us.

Also I have somebody has already raised the concern. refer to

My question is, is there any way to increase the limit? My app has millions of user, so the expected quota should be very huge.

...in this case you can no doubt afford Gold or (better) Platinum support, which gives you much better and more direct access to *dedicated* support engineers (and, for Platinum, tech account managers) able to bridge communications between your team and our Sales etc groups.

Me, I lead "1:many" cloud tech support -- a team mostly dedicated to supporting customers who can't afford such premium support contracts (hence, logically, small, "long-tail" customers). Neither I myself, nor others in the team I lead, are therefore any good, or at all experienced, at dealing with requests for quotas orders of magnitude larger than normal -- you really need a TAM (thus, Platinum support) to navigate *that* optimally!

We (1:many) are mostly active here on google groups, stackoverflow and serverfault sites, and the public issue trackers -- very public channels, because, to scale up our help, we absolutely need our actions to help, not just the one customer asking, but, many of them. Negotiation for huge increases in quotas would obviously be very private ones -- one more reason to not involve us (1:many) in such "huge customer" negotiations!-)

Best of luck,

Alex