memcached client with sasl

Vick Khera

Jan 15, 2018, 1:49:11 PM1/15/18
to Google App Engine
I've successfully configured my wordpress instance on GAE flex environment to use the W3 total cache plugin with memcache from RedisLabs for various caches. However, I cannot get it to use the SASL authentication.

The page https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/php/using-redislabs-memcache does indeed say that the memcached client needs to support SASL but not much more than that. Based on other searches and hints I found, I tried to set `memcached.use_sasl = 1` in my php.ini file. However, the W3 total cache configuration page does not recognize that memcache with SASL is available and leaves the password fields "locked". If I manually add the passwords to the config file they are still ignored. The cache works great without the passwords if I turn off SASL on the server side, but that is less than an ideal situation.

Is the memcached client on GAE flex built with SASL support? If so, is there something else I need to do to enable it?

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 15, 2018, 9:14:59 PM1/15/18
to Google App Engine
Hello Vick,

The page your link points to recommends for PHP the use of the memcached extension. This extension is included in the PHP runtime. You only need to choose your configuration and set the configuration files as recommended in the "Connecting to Redis Labs Memcache" sub-chapter, on the same page.

In the appengine/flexible/memcache/app.yaml file, you choose appropriate settings as indicated on that page:

env_variables:
  # If you are using the App Engine Memcache service (currently in alpha),
  # uncomment this section and comment out the other Memcache variables.
  # USE_GAE_MEMCACHE: 1
  MEMCACHE_SERVER: your-memcache-server
  # If you are using a Memcached server with SASL authentiation enabled,
  # fill in these values with your username and password.
  MEMCACHE_USERNAME: ""
  MEMCACHE_PASSWORD: ""