error 503 local host google datastore

Jack Heinemann

Nov 22, 2016, 12:07:51 PM11/22/16
to Google App Engine

So I am a total novice when it comes to datastore and cloud interaction, and I am trying to figure out the basics of datastore through the google bookshelf tutorial. I have the free trial running for 60 days and just want to wrap my head around how it works.

So in the setup I reached this portion of the tutorial (screenshot of google site) (this is the url: https://cloud.google.com/java/getting-started/using-forms) and I seem to be doing okay. I ran the code it asks for and seem to have started a jetty server in my terminal. It reads:

[INFO] Started ServerConnector@5ef8c2f7{HTTP/1.1,[http/1.1]}{0.0.0.0:8080}
[INFO] Started @14439ms
[INFO] Started Jetty Server

So the next step is to go to localhost8080 in my browser but when I get there I get an HTTP 503 Error that reads:

Problem accessing /. Reason:
Service Unavailable

I can't seem to find a solution to this anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what I should do. Thanks!

Alex (Cloud Platform Support)

Nov 24, 2016, 4:36:52 PM11/24/16
to Google App Engine

Hi Jack,

No worries, you still have plenty of time to experiment with the Cloud Platform. Note that I was unable to reproduce your error on a windows machine and was able to launch the tutorial app in localhost.

Here’s a list of important troubleshooting steps to look at when a “Service Unavailable” error is thrown:

   1. As instructed on the first tutorial page:

       - Make sure Cloud Datastore, Cloud Pub/Sub, Cloud Storage JSON, Cloud Logging, and Google+ APIs are enabled in your Cloud Console.

       - Make sure the project is correct and that you are logged in with the correct email when running “gcloud config list” command in terminal.

   2. As instructed on the first tutorial page:

       - Make sure the specified YOUR-PROJECT-ID is correct when running “mvn -Plocal clean jetty:run-exploded -DprojectID=YOUR-PROJECT-ID”

Let me know if having any trouble with the troubleshooting tasks. If the error persists, I would require from you to provide me with the full stack trace that you are getting under “Problem accessing /. Reason: Service Unavailable” as shown in my attached image.

Screenshot 2016-11-24 at 3.56.02 PM.png