Google app engine on existing maven-tomcat projects

zalis via StackOverflow

Feb 7, 2016, 8:06:05 AM2/7/16
to google-appengin...@googlegroups.com

I am running Magnolia CMS on a tomcat 7, I would like to leverage Googles App Engine(GAE). From googles documentations i understand that it is enough to include the GAE plugin to my root pom.xml within the build tags, see below:

<plugin>
    <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
    <artifactId>appengine-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.9.31</version>
</plugin>

In Googles documentation it states that I also have to add appengine-web.xml in my WEB-INF folder which i did - not sure if its even getting picked up...

Google states that to start the application you need to execute mvn appengine:devserver and to upload it to google mvn appengine:update.

When i atempted to use these commands mvn appengine:devserver and mvn appengine:update i get failures .....

Some points to note, project has many maven modules, only one module needs GAE. Project is running Java 8. Feature in GAE needed is Task Queue API. Eclipse version is Luna 4.4.1. Magnolia version 5.4.3. Tomcat is started from within eclipse in server configuration

Question: what is the right approach to making these two systems talk to each-other, so i can leverage GAE capabilities in my already existing project?

Please DO NOT REPLY directly to this email but go to StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35253786/google-app-engine-on-existing-maven-tomcat-projects

zalis via StackOverflow

Feb 7, 2016, 8:16:08 AM2/7/16
to google-appengin...@googlegroups.com

I am running Magnolia CMS on a tomcat 7, I would like to leverage Googles App Engine(GAE). From googles documentations i understand that it is enough to include the GAE plugin to my root pom.xml within the build tags, see below:

<plugin>
    <groupId>com.google.appengine</groupId>
    <artifactId>appengine-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.9.31</version>
</plugin>

In Googles documentation it states that I also have to add appengine-web.xml in my WEB-INF folder which i did - not sure if its even getting picked up...

Google states that to start the application you need to execute mvn appengine:devserver and to upload it to google mvn appengine:update.

When i atempted to use these commands mvn appengine:devserver and mvn appengine:update i get failures .....also im not sure im supposed to run them considering my existing setup

[INFO] Initializing Log4J
[INFO] Initializing Log4J from [WEB-INF/config/default/log4j.xml]
[INFO] 2016-02-07 21:08:47,159 ERROR info.magnolia.init.MagnoliaServletContextListener : Oops, Magnolia could not be started
[INFO] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.io.FileOutputStream is a restricted class. Please see the Google  App Engine developer's guide for more details.
[INFO]  at com.google.appengine.tools.development.agent.runtime.Runtime.reject(Runtime.java:52)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:294)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java:207)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:165)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:307)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:295)
[INFO]  at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:176)

zalis via StackOverflow

Feb 7, 2016, 9:41:05 AM2/7/16
to google-appengin...@googlegroups.com

Question: what is the right approach to making these two systems talk to each-other, so i can leverage GAE capabilities in my already existing project running on tomcat?