New version of Google App Engine

st ov

Mar 9, 2017, 5:00:35 PM3/9/17
to google-appengine-go

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/09/new-version-of-google-app-engine-supports-all-programming-languages/

I'm new to App Engine so forgive me. But how does this change the standard environment?
Does this mean we can setup any configuration?
or are we still tied to the conventions of putting handlers in an init function with no main?
Not clear to me what changed?

Strom

Mar 9, 2017, 5:53:38 PM3/9/17
to google-appengine-go
This is not about the standard App Engine, it's about flex.

What's more, it's just marketing spin. You could already use any language before with custom runtime. Places like TechCrunch are written by people who don't understand what's going on and just paraphrase press releases.

Wilson MacGyver

Mar 9, 2017, 6:36:45 PM3/9/17
to Strom, google-appengine-go
yea, I saw the same article. I too was at first very excited, then I realized it was really just repeating press release of something that already exist

and no go support for cloud function. :(

st ov

Mar 11, 2017, 3:13:01 PM3/11/17
to google-appengine-go
Thanks, so nothing has changed then.

Wilson MacGyver

Mar 11, 2017, 3:20:42 PM3/11/17
to st ov, google-appengine-go
Nope. We are still stuck with go 1.6, unless you want to put up with the unusable long startup time of gae flex

Damien Lebrun

Mar 12, 2017, 10:56:05 AM3/12/17
to google-appengine-go, xxs...@gmail.com

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 23:36:45 UTC, Mac wrote:
and no go support for cloud function. :(

 What's the difference between appengine and cloud function. Cloud function looks similar to the the original appengine model (when you didn't pay by instance but by cpu time if I remember correctly).