How to make nginx cache & gzip my responses on the Flexible Environment?

Gabor Lenard

Apr 14, 2017, 5:27:43 AM4/14/17
to google-appengine-go
Started a new project to learn the new Flexible Environment, with Go 1.8 (runtime: go env: flex). Works great, and I enjoy very much that it is now pure Go.

However, it turns out that my http responses are not gzipped. I’ve assumed that a reverse proxy in the infrastructure would do this out of the box.

I understand from searches inside this group (e.g., https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine-go/MvgaW8RNxxE/J6PwRTEGDgAJ) that nginx is indeed part of the infrastructure.

So how do I configure nginx to gzip and cache my responses (based on my headers)? Do I need to configure it manually like in this sample? https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/appengine-custom-runtimes-samples/tree/master/nginx

Gabor