Announcement: App Engine flexible to use new build pipeline and distroless image for Go

Vivek Sekhar

Feb 14, 2018, 5:54:42 PM2/14/18
Hello Go App Engine flexible environment users,

In September, we announced the beta of two changes for Go developers. Starting with the version 189.0.0 of the gcloud SDK, available today, these changes are now generally available and apply to all Go deployments to App Engine flexible. The details of these two changes are recapped below.

First, the new build pipeline supports pinning your app to specific Go major versions through the runtime settings in your app.yaml. Supported runtime values are: go, go1.8 and go1.9. Specifying `runtime: go` in your app.yaml will use the latest supported release, which is now Go 1.9. We will pre-announce future major version upgrades for `runtime: go` as we have done in the past.

Second, the new build pipeline will produce your application image with gcr.io/distroless/base as the base image. This affects only new deployments (not existing running applications) that are deployed with the gcloud command. The distroless base image contains a minimal Linux, glibc-based system. Compared with the current default build pipeline, this change will reduce your application image size by ~390MB. Note that your application image will no longer contain the Go SDK nor Debian utilities. If your application requires these at runtime, you can use a custom runtime to explicitly declare and version the dependency.

Your feedback in this forum and your bug reports are always welcome.

Vivek, for the Go team
--

Vivek | Sekhar | Product Manager | vse...@google.com