Flexible VM on EC2

Mihai B

Jun 15, 2016, 2:59:00 PM6/15/16
to google-appengine-go
There was a demo[0] at Google IO with a appengine vm app deployed on EC2 using docker containers. Is it possible today? I'm wondering how the scaling  GAE specific configs work(i.e. *.yaml files)   but I can't find any documentation about that.

 - Mihai

Adam Tanner

Jun 30, 2016, 5:42:24 PM6/30/16
to google-appengine-go
Hey Mihai,

After watching the video what they were trying to get across was that App Engine Flexible apps are really just Docker images with all of the fancy Google Cloud autoscaling, load balancing, etc. features set up for you out of the box. The same Docker image that we deploy on App Engine can be deployed on any other cloud provider that can run Docker as well. Those other services probably don't understand the App Engine specific YAML configs though, so you'd need to configure scaling, load balancing, etc with the tools they provide instead.

Adam

Mihai B

Jul 2, 2016, 12:13:32 PM7/2/16
to google-appengine-go
Hi Adam,

Although not perfect It's still a good step into the right direction. The fear of lock-in is the biggest drawback of GAE. Is it correct to assume that the service is not available right now? The documentation[0] provides no details about docker registry. You need to deploy with the gcloud sdk.

Mihai.

Adam Tanner

Jul 3, 2016, 1:02:21 AM7/3/16
to Mihai B, google-appengine-go
Container Registry is public and available for use. I definitely understand the fear of lock-in, though I hope you find App Engine Flexible much better in that regard. If not, feel free to email me directly and I'll pass along your concerns to Product and advocate where I can. :)

gcloud just pushes your code to GCS, builds a Docker image, adds it to the registry, and kicks off a deployment for you. Nothing you couldn't roll on your own if you really wanted to. Additionally, gcloud app deploy supports a --image-url flag that accepts a Docker image URL, though it is currently limited to URLs from Container Registry.

Hope that helps,
Adam