Google Cloud Platform API issues on April 8th, 2014

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 5:15:47 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, bigquery-dow...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com, gs-an...@googlegroups.com
We are investigating an issue with the external APIs for all Google Cloud Platform services.  We will provide more information shortly.  Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center.  Unfortunately we do not currently have an ETA for resolution.  We will provide an update by 09:30 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 5:30:12 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com, gcd-downt...@googlegroups.com
We are still investigating an issue with the external APIs for all Google Cloud Platform services. Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center. Unfortunately we do not currently have an ETA for resolution. We will provide an update by 10:00 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 5:57:16 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com
We are still investigating an issue with the external APIs for all Google Cloud Platform services. Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center. Unfortunately we do not currently have an ETA for resolution. We will provide an update by 11:00 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 7:41:25 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com
Google API JavaScript client functionality has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change. Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center. We will provide an update by 12:30 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 8:34:28 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com
Google API JavaScript client functionality has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change. Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center. We will provide an update by 13:30 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 9:40:22 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com
Google API JavaScript client functionality has been restored for most users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change. Further information for customers with a support contract will also be available in the Google Enterprise Support Center. We will provide an update by 14:30 GMT.

Sergey Pisarenko

Apr 8, 2014, 10:24:12 AM4/8/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, gce-ope...@googlegroups.com
The problem with Google API JavaScript client functionality was resolved as of Tuesday, 2014-04-08 14:22 GMT. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued support. Please rest assured that system reliability is a top priority at Google, and we are making continuous improvements to make our systems better. We will provide a more detailed analysis of this incident.

Google App Engine Downtime Notify

Apr 9, 2014, 6:52:37 PM4/9/14
to google-appengine...@googlegroups.com
SUMMARY:

From 20:12 US/Pacific on the 7th April, to 07:08 on the 8th April, some applications using the Google API (GAPI) JavaScript client library experienced errors when using JSON-RPC Google APIs through the library. If your service or application was affected, we apologize — this is not the level of quality and reliability we strive to offer you, and we have taken and are taking immediate steps to improve the platform’s performance and availability.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF IMPACT:

Starting at 20:12 US/Pacific on 7 April, clients which loaded a new version of the GAPI library, and used the JSON-RPC interface, began to receive 404 “Not Found” responses from the Google API servers. The issue continued to develop and reached a plateau at 01:13 on 8 April. At this time, about 31% of JSON-RPC calls were affected. Remediation began at 03:57, with the error rate decreasing steadily from then until 07:08. A very small number of clients may have experienced errors after this time.

The most severely affected Google Cloud Platform services were the Cloud Storage object browser in the Cloud Developer Console, and the Cloud Endpoints service.

Clients using JSON-REST calls were not affected, nor were clients using JSON-RPC calls with a cached older version of the GAPI library. In total during the incident, 21% of JSON-RPC GAPI calls, and 0.07% of all GAPI library calls, were affected by this issue.

ROOT CAUSE:

The root cause of the outage was an error in the GAPI client JavaScript library, which caused the ‘apiVersion’ parameter in API calls to be set to “undefined”. The faulty library version was deployed in a software package that was rolled out across the Google servers from 20:12 to 01:13 US/Pacific. In response to calls from this library, the API servers returned a HTTP 404 “Not Found” error, causing the propagation of an error to the client invoking the GAPI library call.

In addition, the fault was detected by automated release testing, but an error in the monitoring configuration prevented the automation from halting the release process.

REMEDIATION AND PREVENTION:

To remedy the issue, as soon as the code error was identified, Google engineers began a rollback to the previous version of the software package that includes the GAPI library. This process took approximately 3 hours 11 minutes to complete across the entire Google estate.

To prevent recurrences, Google engineers will review the GAPI JavaScript library testing and monitoring, and ensure that it is fully integrated with the release automation so that releases are detected and rolled back as necessary.