serious bug in batch api

Chris Harrington

Oct 15, 2015, 1:42:40 AM10/15/15
to Google Analytics Management API
If I batch add users, and one of the users isn't a valid Google email, then all parts of batch fail. Seems pretty repeatable.  I don't think this is as designed.
 - Chris

Matthew Cohoon

Oct 15, 2015, 2:57:13 PM10/15/15
to Google Analytics Management API
Hello Chris,

This is actually working as intended (updated docs). The rationale is as follows, all permissions calls in a batch request are treated as a single transaction. This means that if any of the mutations is in error, no changes are made. The reasons we treat them as a single call are:
  • Multiple edits may be needed to adjust a single user's permissions. If one of the edits is malformed, committing part of the batch could cause the user's permissions to end up in an undesirable state.
  • By treating the edits as a single transaction, we optimize the traffic and can reduce the quota required for the call.
I hope this helps,
Matt

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Chris Harrington <back...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I batch add users, and one of the users isn't a valid Google email, then all parts of batch fail. Seems pretty repeatable.  I don't think this is as designed.
 - Chris

Chris Harrington

Oct 15, 2015, 3:39:29 PM10/15/15
to google-analytic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,
That rationale makes sense in the context of mutations to a single user. But I wouldn't expect the rule to apply across users. But if that is the design, then I'll adjust my code logic to accommodate it.
Thanks,
Chris