How to tell if web property is using Universal or Classic Analytics?

Jeff Austin

Oct 2, 2015, 12:09:44 AM10/2/15
to Google Analytics Management API
I have an app that analyzes analytics data for multiple customers. Some customers are using Universal and some are using Classic.

Is there a way to detect which version of Google Analytics is being used for a particular web property?

The reason is because I will need to look up either a CustomVarValue or Custom Dimension depending...

Any ideas?

Matthew Cohoon

Oct 2, 2015, 12:16:50 PM10/2/15
to Google Analytics Management API

100% of Google Analytics properties have been transferred to Universal Analytics, and all new properties will be Universal Analytics properties. If you are still using a legacy tracking library (such as ga.js or versions 1.x of the mobile SDKs), you should strongly consider upgrading your tracking code to get all the benefits of Universal Analytics.

Jeff Austin

Oct 3, 2015, 1:25:49 PM10/3/15
to Google Analytics Management API
Thanks, but that is irrelevant to my question.

To clarify, I have a SaaS application that pulls google analytics data via OAuth from many different google analytics properties (that I do not own).

Some of these web properties are using the Classic analytics and some are using Universal Analytics. The ones using Classic are storing custom values in the  CustomVarValue fields (ga:CustomVarValue1), while the ones using Universal are setting the values in CustomDimension fields (ga:CustomDimensionXX).

In order to craft the proper query, I need to know whether they are using Classic or Universal.

So the question is: Is there a way to determine via the Management API which version of analytics a particular web property is using?

Thanks
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-analytics-management-api+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Matthew Cohoon

Oct 6, 2015, 11:26:55 AM10/6/15
to Google Analytics Management API
You could check to see if the the custom dimensions are defined with Management API. Simply query the custom dimensions list method, this should give you an indication if they have custom dimensions set up. But there is no one method of distinguishing how the collection side of the account is configured without either directly querying the Core Reporting API or directly examining the collection implementation.

-Matt

Jeff Austin