Referral Path and Unique Users

la...@changeit.com

Mar 25, 2015, 3:16:37 PM3/25/15
to google-analytics...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am brand new to using Google Analytics and was hoping to get some help for a report that my manager wants.  The numbers just don't seem to add up.

On my dashboard, I have a widget that advises me I have approximately 1,576 New users from a specific source(a particular website).  The widget is configured as:

Table
Display  - Source
Metrics - New Users, Bounce Rate

Filtered by Source/Medium containing our specific source

So I the source correctly, new users and the bounce rate.

We have internal reports that tell us that approximately 1482 have attempted creating an account.  This means that have been to our registration page So the 1576 and 1482 make sense to me.

I was requested to find all the people who have reached our registration and where they came from.  So I went to Acquisition, All Traffic - Referrals
I selected the Primary Dimension as Landing page where it contains /registration and added a secondary dimension of Referral Path.    These numbers do not match at all.

For the same period, I see 269 sessions with 119 new users.  These numbers are confusing for me.  Since we just launched a new website, I know that most of the users had to be new.
Can someone explain what I am doing wrong please?

Thank you.

Lana