Migrating to OAuth2

Jason

Mar 28, 2012, 1:26:19 PM3/28/12
to google-analytics...@googlegroups.com
I am working on migrating from 2.3 with AuthSub to 3.0 with OAuth2.  Is it possible to use AuthSub tokens to obtain OAuth2 tokens without all of our end-users having to reauthorize?

Antti Hirvonen

Apr 2, 2012, 7:36:28 AM4/2/12
to google-analytics-api - GA Data Export API
I would be also very interested to hear if this is possible, as the
migration would be really painful otherwise.

Quentin Caron

Apr 4, 2012, 4:29:44 AM4/4/12
to google-analytics...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately you cannot get OAuth 2.0 tokens. To use tokens you will have to use OAuth 1.0 which is not recommended.

If you want to use OAuth 2.0, you could avoid reauthorizing users by keeping credentials at your application level. You should be able to find a simple solution to encrypt these using a key stored securely, or some other method...

Cheers,
Quentin

Jason

Apr 4, 2012, 11:19:50 AM4/4/12
to google-analytics...@googlegroups.com
Quentin,

Could you explain what you mean by "avoid reauthorizing users by keeping credentials at your application level"?  I don't understand how you would use OAuth 2.0 without a token.

Thanks,
Jason

Nick

Apr 6, 2012, 1:08:09 PM4/6/12
to google-analytics...@googlegroups.com
Hi No,

Authsub and OAuth are quite different.

Authsub will continue to be supported in v2.4.

OAuth 2 is the standard all Google APIs will be using. So you might consider an upgrade path for your active users. Also if we release any *new* Google Analytics APIs, they will only support OAuth2 (and version 3 libraries)....something to consider.

-Nick