Blank Page Problem

InfoSports

Mar 2, 2010, 9:51:11 AM3/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with a blank page being
displayed when using Google Translate. I have had several reports of
blank pages on my site at www.vpike.com . The site uses Google Maps
and Street Views and used Google Translate. I have removed the
translate code for now to see if the problem goes away.

But, I was wondering if anyone else has seen a problem like this. It
may be related to something completely different though.

Thanks,
Al

InfoSports

Mar 2, 2010, 2:29:07 PM3/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
A tester mentioned that the problem is still there with the translate
code removed. So it is something else that is causing the problem.
-Al

On Mar 2, 6:51 am, InfoSports <a...@infosports.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with a blank page being
> displayed when using Google Translate.  I have had several reports of

> blank pages on my site atwww.vpike.com.  The site uses Google Maps

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 2, 2010, 2:44:19 PM3/2/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Could you provide a link to a page that demonstrates the behavior and, if necessary, directions to reproduce?

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

InfoSports

Mar 2, 2010, 11:28:17 PM3/2/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Actually any street view page on vPike would work. The problem may be
specific browser oriented on browser settings oriented. It is kind of
hard to get a handle on it since I don't wish to trouble the people
too much who have reported the problem. I would guess the problem is
seen by less than 1% of the visitors.

-Al

On Mar 2, 11:44 am, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you provide a link to a page that demonstrates the behavior and, if necessary, directions to reproduce?
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Effective website design & development
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com

> jrgeer...@gmail.com

> If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!
>
> On Mar 2, 2010, at 1:29 PM, InfoSports wrote:
>

> > A tester mentioned that the problem is still there with the translate
> > code removed.  So it is something else that is causing the problem.
> > -Al
>
> > On Mar 2, 6:51 am, InfoSports <a...@infosports.com> wrote:
> >> I was wondering if anyone has seen a problem with a blank page being
> >> displayed when using Google Translate.  I have had several reports of
> >> blank pages on my site atwww.vpike.com.  The site uses Google Maps
> >> and Street Views and used Google Translate.  I have removed the
> >> translate code for now to see if the problem goes away.
>
> >> But, I was wondering if anyone else has seen a problem like this.  It
> >> may be related to something completely different though.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Al

rdewit

Mar 5, 2010, 8:49:30 PM3/5/10
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Jeremy,

I have a similar problem and created a reproducible test case (at
least for me). I experience the blank page in FF 3.6 and Chromium
(5.0.344.0 (40592)) both on Ubuntu 9.10.

Code: http://rdewit.pastebin.com/dyphFQFp

How to reproduce: save the file and run it locally. Click on 'click
me'. There will be an alert saying that the page will go blank. If all
goes well, there should be a second alert indicating 'success' and the
'click me' should not have disappeared.

I'm curious if you or anybody else on this list can reproduce the
behaviour with this little snippet.

Cheers, Roald

On Mar 3, 6:44 am, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you provide a link to a page that demonstrates the behavior and, if necessary, directions to reproduce?
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Effective website design & development
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com

> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 5, 2010, 8:58:29 PM3/5/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
rdewit: The issue in your test case is that you are calling google.load after the page is loaded. By default, the load method uses document.write to write the script tags to load the API. However, you can tell it to load the scripts dynamically by providing an options object with a callback property, as below:

google.load('search','1',{callback:myCallBackFunction});

When called like this, the load method will switch to generating the script elements via document.createElement and dynamically append them to the document head, thus preventing the page blanking effect.

Honestly, I suspect this is what's going on with InfoSports' page as well. I.e., one of the APIs is being loaded post-onload.

For more information on the load method and the options it will accept, check out the link below:

http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/documentation/#GoogleLoad

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com

jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

Roald de Wit

Mar 5, 2010, 9:05:25 PM3/5/10
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the quick reply! You are right, by providing the callback in
the load call, the issue is gone! :-)
I hope this will help Al from InfoSports as well.

Cheers, Roald