Ads requests no longer getting fulfilled

Nick Krawczyk

Feb 6, 2014, 9:06:05 PM2/6/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I had been using admob ads perfectly fine until recently when I decided to run house ads, and then after those stopped it seems like admob turned off all my ads, on the website it shown 0 impressions. When I run the app and an ad request is called this is what the logcat displays:

    02-06 17:27:46.757: ERROR/Ads(9298): AdLoader can't parse gWhirl server configuration.
    02-06 17:27:46.757: INFO/Ads(9298): The following was caught and handled:
        org.json.JSONException: No value for ad_networks
        at org.json.JSONObject.get(JSONObject.java:354)
        at org.json.JSONObject.getJSONArray(JSONObject.java:544)
        at com.google.ads.c.a(SourceFile:102)
        at com.google.ads.internal.c.b(SourceFile:994)
        at com.google.ads.internal.c.run(SourceFile:902)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:864)
    02-06 17:27:46.757: INFO/Ads(9298): onFailedToReceiveAd(There was an internal error.)

This is how my ads are called:

    AdmobAd.loadAd(new AdRequest());

Any advice is appreciated on how to fix this. Also, if this might be a problem with my account how can one get in touch with admob? The website doesn't appear to have any contact info

Pedro Da Ros

Feb 9, 2014, 6:09:03 PM2/9/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I was getting this error all the time on the past few weeks, but it seems that in my case it was only when I ran the ad on a Kindle Fire HDX (I posted here on the group a couple days ago also).

But what made me reply here is that I started running House Ads for the first time very recently also, so the two things might be related... Maybe it only happens when there are House Ads being served, and the device requesting the ad is a Kindle Fire HDX?

Best

Nick Krawczyk

Feb 9, 2014, 7:18:14 PM2/9/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
I was using an HTC One Xl as a test device, not a Kindle Fire HDX. However I was able to somewhat solve my problem. I was using the Admob sdk before and it seems like that might not be supported anymore. After I changed to using Google Play Services for Ads I had no issues receiving ads anymore, so I suspect the Admob sdk was causing the issue.

Pedro Da Ros

Feb 9, 2014, 7:47:18 PM2/9/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, I will try to migrate to the Google Play Services also.

Best

Eric Leichtenschlag

Feb 11, 2014, 1:01:21 PM2/11/14
to google-adm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

This message means that you were trying to use mediation, but an empty mediation response was returned.

Back when that error message first went into the SDK, this case should never have happened, so it logged at the error level. But in the new AdMob UI, AdMob is removing itself from the mediation list in the case that it was first in the order buy couldn't fill an ad, to save a round-trip back to the AdMob server. So if you didn't have any other ad networks in there (just AdMob + house ads), this empty response could theoretically occur. We should probably update the SDK to not log it as an error, but in your case this probably just means no-fill.

Thanks,
Eric