Fwd: Call for project proposals for 2018 High-Energy Physics Software Foundation Google Summer of Code

Sebastien Binet

Jan 24, 2018, 12:50:44 PM1/24/18
to gonum-dev
hi there,

GSoC-2018 is booting up.

I expect to send a proposal for Go-HEP itself but, if somebody from Gonum is interested, I could co-mentor and perhaps get something done for something more pure-Gonum oriented (but still HEP related/useful.)
(I would need to feel confortable to co-mentor, though...)

any ideas/volunteers?

one thing I had in mind:

- implement the level-0 of the HDF5 library in pure Go. that could be fun (for some definition of fun) and unlock some interesting avenues for a pure-Go HDF5 library.

alternatively, Gonum could try to officially get in the organizations pool (perhaps via NumFOCUS?)

-s

=======
Project proposals are due by next Friday, February 2, 2018

Requirements for project proposals:

  • open-source software development
  • high-energy physics related
  • each project needs a minimum of two mentors (if you have a project idea please find a co-mentor)

Requirement for student eligibility are listed on the main Google Summer of Code webpage https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/, the main one being that participating students (undergraduate or graduate) are enrolled in a university program.

Examples of projects from last year can be found on last year's website: http://hepsoftwarefoundation.org/gsoc/2017/index.html

and individual project results summarized on Google 2017 HSF GSoC webpage:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/organizations/6360460286754816/

We look forward to an excellent 2018 HSF Google Summer of Code program and to all of the interesting proposals,

Best regards,

Sergei, Enric and Antoine (2018 HSF GSoC Admins)
=======

Brendan Tracey

Jan 24, 2018, 1:26:00 PM1/24/18
to gonum-dev
I'm not in a position to offer to co-mentor, as I do not know what my professional will situation will be at that point. If there is interest, I could help generate ideas.

I contacted NumFOCUS a while ago to get the details of what it would mean to be a non-supported member. I have not heard back from them yet.