gonum/plot: plotting an image from a telescope

Seb Binet

Apr 6, 2016, 3:59:01 AM4/6/16
to gonu...@googlegroups.com
hi there,

let's say I want to plot an image from a telescope (completely
fictious example), a bit in the same fashion than:
http://www.astropy.org/astropy-tutorials/FITS-images.html#Viewing-the-image-data-and-getting-basic-statistics

I suppose I should implement a gonum/plot.Plotter and pass it to the
plot.Plot.Add()

do you think this could be added to gonum/plot/plotter, say
plotter.Image taking an image.Image as input ?

-s

Dan Kortschak

Apr 6, 2016, 5:27:42 AM4/6/16
to Seb Binet, gonu...@googlegroups.com
I think there are two answers here. The first is that I'm pretty sure there is an outstanding issue to add this feature and the second is that you can do this horrendously inefficiently by using a heatmap.

Seb Binet

Apr 6, 2016, 8:17:47 AM4/6/16
to Dan Kortschak, gonu...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Dan Kortschak
<dan.ko...@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> I think there are two answers here. The first is that I'm pretty sure there is an outstanding issue to add this feature and the second is that you can do this horrendously inefficiently by using a heatmap.

wrt the first answer: are you talking about this issue?
https://github.com/gonum/plot/issues/159

anyways. I'll send a PR, then.

-s

Dan Kortschak

Apr 6, 2016, 1:58:05 PM4/6/16
to Seb Binet, gonu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that looks like it.

Ethan Burns

Apr 7, 2016, 5:03:09 PM4/7/16
to gonum-dev, dan.ko...@adelaide.edu.au
If you need help adding images to EPS, I used to know how to do it, so let me know.

As as starter, here's some old code that I have, which does it: https://github.com/eaburns/search/blob/master/graphics/image.cc#L102.

Seb Binet

Apr 8, 2016, 2:54:23 PM4/8/16
<dan.ko...@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> I think there are two answers here. The first is that I'm pretty sure there is an outstanding issue to add this feature and the second is that you can do this horrendously inefficiently by using a heatmap.

as a first stab, I piggy backed on gridxyz:
https://github.com/gonum/plot/pull/256

-s