portfolio optimization in gonum framework

Pär Lorentz

Jan 19, 2018, 3:40:51 AM1/19/18
to gonum-dev
Hi,

I have a financial background and am looking into ways to incorporate a statistical go tool for portfolio optimisation purposes. I am reading the book 'Machine Learning with Go' by Daniel Whitenack and he has applied much of the ML techniques by utilising gonum among other go-packages.

I would like to see if anyone in this community has a financial background and could point me in the direction where and a bit how to use the gonum package in order to solve a non-linear mean-variance optimised portfolio in the classical Markowitz framework. All thoughts and discussions are welcome!

Best,
Pär

Brendan Tracey

Jan 19, 2018, 12:23:08 PM1/19/18
to gonum-dev
I don't have a financial background. However, at the moment, you may find http://godoc.org/gonum.org/v1/gonum/optimize/ useful. The standard mean/variance optimization is a convex problem, and while we don't have explicit convex solvers tuned for the problem, our current implementations should work well (as long as your problem isn't huge).

Pär Lorentz

Jan 22, 2018, 8:03:28 AM1/22/18
to gonum-dev
Thanks for your reply Brendan!

I will start digging in-depth in the optimize package of gonum. Are there any plans on branching the optimize package too "purify" the tools towards specific real-life application areas such as finance, physics, etc? I guess the idea is to keep it generic by design so branching may be out of scope, which would make sense, but just curious.