Papers using Gonum

Brendan Tracey

Jun 9, 2017, 12:20:29 PM6/9/17
to gonum-dev
I just submitted a paper and put it up on arXiv if anyone is interested.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.02419

It is about working with mixture models (such as a mixture of Gaussians), specifically estimating the entropy of such a model.  We develop an estimator that uses distance functions, and prove that our estimator has a provably small bound on the error of the estimate. We also show that using the Kullback-Leibler divergence (https://godoc.org/github.com/gonum/stat/distmv#KullbackLeibler) provides an upper bound to the entropy, and using Bhattacharyya distance (https://godoc.org/github.com/gonum/stat/distmv#Bhattacharyya) gives a lower bound to the entropy.

A library for using these is at https://godoc.org/github.com/btracey/mixent .

Sebastien Binet

Jun 9, 2017, 12:26:50 PM6/9/17
to Brendan Tracey, gonum-dev
Brendan,

Great!
Do we want to setup a page (on gonum.org or on GitHub wiki) to gather all these papers or rely on the wiki page from github.com/golang/go?
Or (better?) setup a DOI on zenodo so these papers can properly cite gonum?

-s

sent from my droid

Dan Kortschak

Jun 9, 2017, 10:13:34 PM6/9/17
to Sebastien Binet, Brendan Tracey, gonum-dev
We really need to have a release for that. When that happens we can
also submit the repo to JOSS and get a publication from it.